Chapter Thirty-Two - Fast Cars

"The cars we drive say a lot about us."

- Alexandra Paul

Aaron Adair

Olivia's brunette curls blew in the wind as she sped down the dimly lit street. I leaned back in the seat, admiring how pretty she looked. Seeing her drive her dream car brought up memories I thought I'd never hold onto.

I close my eyes for a moment, and I'm back in my old Honda Civic and Olivia is in the passenger seat, jamming to whatever CD's she'd picked up when she was thrifting.

Her soft, tan skin shined under the harsh sunlight that beamed through the sunroof and when the light hit her golden brown eyes, it wasn't hard to lose yourself in them.

"Does this scare you?" Olivia's words pulled me out of the blissful memory. Things were perfect then, the warm August air, Olivia and I going everywhere together, more in love than I'd ever imagine myself to be.

Puzzled by her question, I voiced my uncertainty, "What?"

She clarified, "Me, driving." She continued, asking if it scared me. Overwhelmed by a painful memory, I averted my gaze, as the distressing recollection overshadowed any positive thoughts.

The words "Stay still, Liv" reverberated in my mind, persistent like an unwelcome alarm. Desperately, I yearned for the memory to dissipate, longing for it to vanish once and for all.

"Aaron?" I returned my attention to her, thinking about her question.

Despite feeling frightened, witnessing her face light up with joy as she drove her dream car made it all worthwhile. "No, it doesn't scare me," I replied, offering her a brief smile. My focus then shifted back to the road, where the passing streetlights illuminated our journey.

The rest of the ride passed in silence. Upon reaching the restaurant, I exited the car and swiftly walked to her side, assuming the role of a gentleman as I opened the door for her.

As she gracefully emerged from the car, all eyes were drawn to the mesmerizing sight of her in a dark blue, silky dress. The onlookers standing outside couldn't help but admire her presence as she glided towards the grand entrance, where a red carpet awaited her arrival.

She patiently waited as I locked the car, extending her arm towards me. I gently took hold of her arm, intertwining mine with hers, and led her into the elegant building.

"Hi, how may I assist you tonight?" A young woman greeted us at the entry.

"Reservation for two, Adair." I replied.

"Right this way," She guided us to our table which was secluded near the back of the restaurant per my request.

Once we were seated, she gracefully poured glasses of champagne for both of us, ensuring our glasses were filled. With a warm smile, she informed us that she would return shortly to take our orders, leaving us to enjoy the sparkling ambiance and anticipation of the meal to come.

"I'll be honest," Olivia whispered across the table. "I've never been to such an upscale place before." Her eyebrows lifted as she perused the menu. "What on earth are 'seared scallops'?" I cleared my throat, suppressing a chuckle, trying to maintain composure.