Chapter 2 - The Students of Advanced Nurturing High School

W/C: 6992

Today was our second day—technically the first day of class. Yesterday mainly detailed course objectives which was why it was a half day. Many of the students were quite surprised, if not a little disappointed by how warm and friendly the teachers of this school looked.

Despite this warm and friendly attitude I at least expected them to make an effort to persuade my sleeping classmates to pay attention in class, however, no such attempts were made. It was as if they didn't even notice; Sudo slept most of the classes along with my other classmates going on their phones or whispering to each other. Except a small few, not many took the time to pay attention to class.

Is this the top school in the country? I mean if you told me they just picked the worst students from the lot I wouldn't be surprised.

Well it did make some sense, here our decisions were seen as our own we were treated as adults, so it was up to us to pay attention to our classes. I wonder if this was how teachers normally operated during compulsory education..? My previous instructors made an effort to call us out whenever we wasted time or goofed off.

I took in the relaxed atmosphere, and soon it was approaching lunchtime. Some students stood up and left with their new acquaintances already presumably with plans in mind. I felt a tad envious of the fact they'd already made friends with each other so easily.

"How pathetic. "

For some reason, I'd just gotten called out. I turned my head in the direction of the voice and found it was my arch-nemesis Horikita. The Joker to my Batman, the Lex Luther to my Superman. Who am I kidding? Horikita isn't that great.

"Huh? What's pathetic?" I asked.

She snickered, "'I want someone to invite me along. I want to eat with someone!' Your thoughts are like an open book," Wow she read me so easily, Horikita you should take up fortune telling. I'm sure you'd make a killing; at least you'd have another way to look delusional.

"Wow if you're hearing that why don't you answer my prayers?" I suggested.

She scoffed, unamused. "Spare me I'd rather be alone than with you." 

"Suit yourself," I said as I got up from my seat.

Less than a minute later, the end-of-class bell rang, officially marking the start of lunchtime.

"I was thinking about going to the cafeteria. Anyone want to come with me?"

Girls gathered around Hirata as if he were some sort of Messiah, I couldn't help but sigh at the sight. This was going to be a reaccuring theme wasn't it?

"Ah, Ayanokoji-kun do you want to come with us?" A cute girl had called out to me, her name was Sato. Yesterday after introductions she and I had got acquainted with the promise of exchanging numbers once we received our cell phones; She was a rather cheerful person, with a good sense of style.

"I'm fine for today, thanks for the invitation." I smiled softly in an attempt to turn her down kindly but she got red and flustered as a result. "A-Ah, alright than. M-Maybe next time?"

"Maybe," I said ambiguously, to which she nodded before going back to her group. I saw they were restless and took a peek at me every now and then, I was confused so I just waved and they cheered... really high school is a wonder.

"Hey Ayanokoji, me and Shiro were 'bout to check out the cafeteria wanna come?"

Sora called out to me with Shiro by his side, he was quite the individual. Despite how he acted, I doubted it was from being an extrovert but rather due to his overwhelming confidence. I wonder where that stemmed from.