Thantophobia (2.2)

Thantophobia (n.)-The fear/ phobia of losing someone you love

Cha Eunjae tended to one of the patients, silently listening to their heartbeats and administering oxygen to the ones who cannot breathe.

But as Doctor Jung panickly enters the 2nd floor and tells her of the situation regarding Ahreum. The female doctor drops the stethoscope in her hand and with tears threatening to prick her eyes, she runs down the stairs towards the lobby to see what was happening.

In a lot of ways, Ahreum was Eunjae's biggest supporter and friend since she started in Doldam 3 years ago. Ahreum comforted, encouraged and was there with her right from the start. She was a precious friend to Cha Eunjae.... That was undeniable to say the least.

Eunjae tried her best to ease the loud drumming sound of her heart on her chest. But as she heard the other staff members sobbing and shouting at the whole mayhen, she could feel her body also starting to give out.

'She's not answering her phone.... What do we do?'

'Where's Euntak ssaem!!?'

'His currently in the OR assisting Doctor Kang and Doctor Seo...'

'Don't inform the OR yet... He won't be able to cope and focus. For now, let's hope Dong ssaem returns with Yoon ssaem safe and alive.'

The words 'safe and alive' rang through Eunjae's head over and over again.

What if Ahreum didn't make it? What would she do? Worse.... What will happen to Park Euntak?

Meanwhile in the smoke filled emergency room, Jang Donghwa soon finds out that the situation was in fact much worse than he thought.

The smoke was stinging his eyes but he knew he had to move fast in order to find Ahreum in time. The fire had broken through the back walls of Doldam Hospital and soon enough the hallways would be blocked and there would be no way out if he kept on wasting his time.

Entering the emergency room whilst covering his nose and mouth, he runs toward the storage where they put supplies and voilà!

With all their suspicions solved, Ahreum laid there unconscious and with signs of soot already on her cheeks. Only problem here is that the storage was in the back part of the hospital, and currently.... The angry orange flames was blazing through a rack near where Ahreum's body lay.

Running as fast as he can, Jang DongHwa desperately calls out for Ahreum in a muffled voice.

He checks her pulse with shaky hands and realizes that she had a weak pulse indicating she wasn't in a good state at all.

After inhaling all those smoke, he knew the possibility of running across that hallway with her alive and still breathing would be slim.

She needed oxygen quick and in that short time Donghwa spots the POC (Portable Oxygen Concentrator). Grabbing it and turning it on, he places a mask on Ahreum and administers oxygen. But as soon as the machine is on, he encounters a problem. She was unresponsive and the weak pulse he had heard from her earlier was no more...

*As I've said, I know nothing about medical stuff hence I simply research this stuff which obviously I don't know if they're right cause I can't really don't have a clue. All the things, procedures going on here is fiction cause I have no clue how to do all this stuff. Please just focus on the story cause all this medical things are freaking hard*

Back in the trauma center, Nurses Oh, Joo and Uhm paced in pure panic as they fixate their gaze on the smokey hallways from behind the glass doors of the trauma center.

'Shouldn't we also go in there? It's been 8 minutes...su ssaem.'

'Let's trust Dong ssaem.... He'll definitely make it here in time.'

Coincidentally, Woojin and Dongju had just finished their surgery together. As Euntak, Dongju and Woojin exit the operating room. They were immediately met by a obviously distressed Park MinGuk and Nam Doil both silently speaking in hushed tones.

'What's this...? Is something happening outside?'

Kang Dongju calmly asked the 2 men as he disposed of his used PPE. Nam Doil sighed as he looked over at Director Park and nods.

Instead of reporting what had happened to Dongju and Woojin though, Park Minguk unexpectedly turns to Park Euntak who had a confused expression painted on his face. Sighing, the middle aged man spoke with a serious tone.

'One of our doctors....is missing, We think she might be trapped in the main hospital. Doctor Jang DongHwa went it 10 minutes ago and still hasn't come back.... We are fearing the worst.'

Alarmed and worried, Euntak felt the palpitations in his heart. Woojin silently looks over at the nurse and hesitantly looks back at Director Park.

'Who...is missing?'

Unable to speak after crossing eyes with Euntak's wide and tear stained ones, Park MinGuk sighs and lets Nam Ssaem answer the question.

'It's Yoon Ahreum seonsaengnim....'

That was it.... it was the last straw for Park Euntak. Most of the Doldam staff still did not know about Ahreum and Euntak's break up (aside from Nurse Uhm and Dong Ssaem plus Eung Ssaem). Not even listening to Director Park and Nam Ssaem's words, Park Euntak dashes off still wearing the PPE he had worn inside the operating room. Tears streamed down his hazel colored eyes and at that moment.... he could feel his world falling and crumbling down.

If anything happens to Ahreum, he would be broken beyond repair and he knew more than anyone else that he would never recover from the guilt and heartbreak of never actually telling her how much he loved her.

Running out the steep hallway leading to the operating rooms, Euntak was about to dash towards the glass doors towards the smoke filled hallway until a plethora of shouts and a pair of big and strong arms restricted him from doing so.

'Euntak Ssaem... calm down, Jang DongHwa Ssaem went in already, Joo YoungMi Ssaem also just went in with Eung Ssaem to find them. Don't go anymore, it's too dangerous to have too many of us in there.'

Park Euntak was out of control. He saw nothing but pain mixed with anger and sadness. He was helpless... and for the first time in years. He broke down and wailed as he stood there with Ku ssaem holding him down.

Everyone was simply heartbroken for him.