Latibule (2.4)

Latibule (n.)-a hiding place; a place of safety and comfort.

It took at lease an hour for Jung Ssaem to tend to Ahreum. He still had to check if she had any injuries whether it be internal or external and after making sure she was unconscious, they had to intubate her and put her in a ventilator to make sure she can breathe. 

Euntak could feel his heart being destroyed as if it was being hit by a car over and over again in that single hour. He silently sat there with tears occasionally streaming down his cheeks.  

Ahreum was put into an induced comma, at least until they can confirm that she could still breathe with her own lungs not needing the ventilator anymore in a matter of 24- 72 hours later. 

The doors to the trauma bay slides open and Euntak immediately stands up to meet Jung Ssaem. 

'She'll be moved to a room soon, stay there and keep an eye on her if you want. She's not out of the clear yet since we're not sure if her upper respiratory was damaged by the smoke she had inhaled. We can only hope now that it wasn't affected... for now, we'll observe her in that state for at least another 24 hours.' 

Thanking Doctor Jung silently, Euntak nods and slightly lets out a sigh of relief. 

Jung Ssaem smiles and pats the male's shoulders before heading off to tend to other patients. 

The worse was over at least for Doldam hospital, some of the emergency patients were transported to other hospitals nearby while the others were left to be treated at the trauma center. The fire department had declared a 'fire out' as early dawn breaks through. Thankfully, the fire was only able to damage the back rooms and storage rooms of the emergency room. Although it would take long to have those fixed and ready to go again, Director Park had suggested to make the trauma center a temporary emergency room simultaneously a trauma center for the time being. 

As things finally went to normal the following day, Euntak stood to his promise and never left Ahreum alone in her room. Despite being broken up, he had came up with a realization that he just could never live without her. A life without her simply meant nothing to him... Park Euntak made a decision from that moment on.....he was going to get her back, this time without any hesitation and doubts. This time he was going to be as straightforward and clear as possible. Just like when they had both just started their relationship 3 years ago.

Ahreum showed no signs of waking up during the first night. Euntak had insisted that he'll be staying there until she had woke up but even after the 2nd night, she had no response at all.

After a few hours of convincing from the Doldam family to rest up. Euntak eventually concedes to Cha Eunjae. She had stepped in and convinced Euntak to go take a rest and freshen up before coming back a few hours later.

As Euntak went off, Eunjae silently stood guard and took Euntak's place on the chair by Ahreum's bedside.

After talking about the hospital's situation and how her day went. Eunjae sighed and soon enough fell asleep. Eventually the cycle repeats for the next few hours, even Seo Woojin would occasionally drop by to check on Ahreum's condition.

A few hours later, Euntak returns holding a bouquet of Pink Peonies. After one gaze at Ahreum, he nonchalantly ignores Eunjae's gaze and places the bouquet on a vase placed on the nightstand.

Eunjae smiles and turns her gaze to Ahreum's sleeping face. After thinking about it for a while, she no longer hesitates and speaks up. 

'Ahreum-ie told me everything you know..... about your problems. You should've told her, even Seo Woojin can be a romanticist if he has time. One single affirmation of your feelings would have been enough for her. Euntak Ssaem.... seeing how much you've suffered during these past 2 days, I can see just how deep and sincere your feelings are for her. Plus, you've both been our exclusive in house couple here for the past 3 years. It would be a waste to simply let that beautiful relationship simply wither away you know....'

Glancing at the flowers placed inside the vase, Eunjae switches her focus to Euntak and slightly grins. 

'They say each flower have their own different stories and meanings.... You find it hard to express your feelings hence they could be a great love language to show her how you feel. What do those mean though?' 

Stroking the fragile petals, Euntak gently smiles and replies with a soft voice. 

'They're Pink Peonies, According to it's origin.... peonies have a beautiful ability to bloom for up to a 100 years, hence they symbolize a long and happy relationship and marriage.' 

Eunjae's eyes widen as she realized what he had just said, looking up at Euntak who was busy gazing at Ahreum's face. She finally pieces the puzzle together and asks him for confirmation.

'Does this mean... your going to---to propose once she wakes up?--- But aren't you both broken up?' 

Euntak grins and sits on a chair placed on the other side of Ahreum's bed, gently taking Ahreum's hands in his, he strokes it sweetly and places a gentle peck on her hands. 

'Not right away....I need to fix my mistakes first then I can move to my next plan. Looking back at everything that's happened, I realized just how big of a jerk I am....I've been to invested with my job that I completely left Ahreum on her own. I'll do my best to be a better boyfriend from now on, I'll make sure the promise I made 3 years ago won't ever go to waste.'