Chapter 26: Happier

It was early Saturday morning, the sun was barely peeking out from the sky, yet, life was bustling right now at Hybe High's parking area.

The students of Year 3B were milling about, their excitement palpable in the air. It wasn't surprising, they had won that sportsfest after all and were awarded with a two-day stay at a beach resort. Most of them were chatting about their plans and what they were looking forward to when they arrived.

Yunjin, meanwhile, was running as fast as she could towards the parking lot, worried about the thought of being left behind. She finally rounded the corner and saw that everyone was still there. She felt relieved when she saw her two friends standing around, talking about something. She finally stopped in front of them and bent down, putting her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. She then raised her head as she looked at the both of them and grinned happily.

"You're lucky you got here a few minutes before the time or you would have missed us." Kazuha scolded her.

"The important thing is, I'm here. I always get here on time anyway. That's me, Huh Yunjin, always on time for you"

"More like barely on time."

"Still on time!"

Kazuha just shook her head and chuckled.

"If that's what makes you happy, Yunjin"

Yunjin then stood up properly and looked at Chaewon, who seemed to be avoiding eye contact with her. They had barely spoken a word to each other since that day.

It was true that Chaewon was one of the most important people in her life and she would be devastated if she lost her, but right now, she doesn't know how to deal with this. It seems Chaewon didn't either, and they tried as much as possible to not make things awkward. But it was an almost impossible task. Yunjin had been spending more time with her teammates than with them, saying that they had a lot to do since soccer season was almost starting.

Yunjin wondered if Kazuha ever noticed the tension between them. If she did, she didn't show it, which she was thankful for. She also realized that Kazuha was looking around the area. She finally perked up when she found the person she wanted to see. Yunjin instantly knew who it was, since Kazuha had invited her one time to their lunch table.

If she and Chaewon were awkward, it was ten times worse having her around. But Kazuha didn't seem to care. She had formed a budding friendship with the notorious fuckgirl who somehow made her smile a lot and got her into fits of laughter every now and then.

Even Chaewon didn't seem to mind having her around, instantly becoming friendly with her when she joined them, which annoyed Yunjin to no end.

But she couldn't tell Chaewon that.

Not after everything.

Not after hurting her like that. She doesn't really deserve the girl.

She just wanted her to be happy.

She watched Kazuha walk towards Sakura.

She gave Chaewon a side-glance, she was watching their friend as well, and she looked happy enough seeing the both of them like that.

As she continued to gaze at her, she didn't notice Bang chan arrived until he had started talking, which caught her by surprise. She looked at him and saw that side smile he had practiced tons of time with other girls.

Yunjin's scowl was apparent as she stared at him, but he didn't seem to notice or care.

"Hey Chaewon! Yunjin"

"Hi Chan" Chaewon responded.

Yunjin just grunted at him.

"How are you guys this morning?"

"I'm fine, I guess. I am a bit excited though, I have to admit." Chaewon answered him. Yunjin chose to remain silent.

"Yeah, me too. It's been awhile since I've been to the beach. I used to swim a lot when I was a kid."

"Wow, that sounds pretty fun. I used to go as well with my family. Sadly, not as much now."

"Wow, really?"

"Yeah, I miss it, maybe that's why I am quite excited for this trip."

Bang chan seemed to think about something and smiled widely at her.

"You know what, Chaewon? Would you like sitting beside me on the way there?"

Chaewon hesitated and looked at Yunjin, who just gave her a blank stare.

She then noticed that Chaewon suddenly looked determined about something.

Chaewon smiled at him, "Yeah sure, why not?"

Bang chan looked surprised at her answer but was able to recover right away.

Yunjin was also shocked but didn't say anything, even though every fiber of her being wanted to stop her.

"Alright! I'll just go get my stuff so we can get on together."

"Sure thing."

He smiled at her happily and walked towards the area where his things were.

An awkward silence immediately fell between them.

Yunjin decided to break it by speaking up first.

" So...Bang chan, huh?"

" Yes, I hope you see nothing wrong with that."

"Of course, nothing is wrong with that. You can befriend whoever you want, Chaewon-ah."

Chaewon looked at her and smiled, "Thank you, Yunjin."

Yunjin smiled back.

They heard a lot of noise and tried to check the source.

It seems the bus had finally arrived and students were already lining up so they could get good seats.

Bang chan had jogged up to them with his things.

"Let's go Chaewon. I'll help you bring some of your stuff."

"Thanks Chan" she said and turned to Yunjin.

"Will you be alright by yourself?" she asked, worried.

"I'll be fine. I can go with some of the guys."

"Maybe you can go with Kazuha, at least you will be able to spend some alone time with her, right?"

"Yeah, maybe I can do that."

"Let's catch up when we get there."

"Yeah, of course."

"See you then, Yunjin!" she said as she bid her goodbye and went off with Bang chan.

Kazuha was still busy with Sakura and she noticed that Yuri was also there along with Hyewon.

She was not in the mood to fake pleasantries with anyone else.

She scanned her surroundings and saw Jake together with Wooyoung. She decided to go towards them since Jake and her had been buddies since they were kids, but as she walked towards them, a feeling of emptiness suddenly surrounded her. She tried to push it back, she did not dare let it take over her.

It was easier that way, pushing back situations she did not want to deal with.

Pushing back emotions she did not wish to surface.

***