Chapter 38: Rude awakening

Chaewon tapped her pencil, staring at the blank paper. She was was the designated artist for their school's paper, and she needed to submit the editorial cartoon assigned to her for their publication's next issue. Though she already had a topic, creative ideas escaped her. As she doodled away, she found herself once again thinking about Yunjin.

As if she could really get her out of her head anyway.

A week and a half had already passed but she noticed a lot of changes from her best friend: She surprised her early one morning by initiating the conversation and apologizing, gifting her with her favorite snacks afterwards. She was extra sweet and more mindful of what she says and does, and whenever other people wanted to hang out with her, Yunjin let her be without so much as a grumble. What surprised her more than anything was the fact that she actually tried to make friends with Bang chan and even Sakura.

Sakura and Yunjin had somehow quickly adapted to one another and were becoming quite noisy whenever they had lunch in the cafeteria.

The funny thing was, they both had the same sense of humor and even had a bottle balancing contest one time. She noticed that she was also slowly getting along with Sakura's friends.

Chaewon was not going to pretend that she wasn't shocked at what was happening.

Yunjin even told her that she already confessed to Kazuha and was rejected. When Chaewon asked her if she was okay, Yunjin just shrugged and laughed about the whole thing, saying it was fine and that there's nothing to worry about.

Chaewon almost asked Yunjin who she was and what she had done to her best friend.

Not that it wasn't a good thing, it was. She just didn't know why this was happening.

Yunjin was of course still the same old noisy girl and the prankster ball of sunshine that people came to know and love, but there was also something different about her. It was as if she was more sure of herself.

That didn't help with matters on how Chaewon was dealing with moving on with her feelings towards her.

The fact that Yunjin was doing all of this made her fall for her even harder, and she was at a loss on what to do, so she just decided to let it be for now. Maybe in time, it will go away.

She sighed and then stopped to look at her drawing. Her eyes widened in surprise, then she groaned as she looked at it. She never expected that she would unconsciously draw her best friend. In her sketch, Yunjin was grinning widely at her, eyes disappearing, as if nothing negative in the world could get through to her.

She knew getting over Yunjin was going to be a difficult task, what she didn't expect at this point was that it would be next to impossible.

She started fixing her things, she couldn't concentrate, if she can't do her work in the library, might as well finish it later at home where she can relax and just let things flow.

As she started putting some of her things inside her bag, she felt warm hands covering both her eyes. She felt a shiver course through her body as she heard the person whisper in her ear:

"Guess who?"

She held the person's hands and gently pulled them away from her face.

"You could always normally say hi to me, you know, Yunjin." she said as she faced the grinning girl. Chaewon noticed how close their proximity was. She swallowed as she tried to move a bit further from her.

"I wanted to surprise you, " Yunjin said nonchalantly. "Besides, I was looking for you because I wanted us to go home together. I mean, you're going home, right?"