Chapter 31: Revelations

Kazuha hated Mondays.

Mondays meant that you had to go back to reality and deal with the unfinished crap you were too lazy to do last Friday.

It was the signal of the end of your fun weekend, the start of the daily grind and the day where you force your body to wake up just so you can do the whole routine all over again.

Yes, Kazuha hated Mondays.

But for some reason, this particular Monday was different from the others. Even the people at her house were surprised by her happy demeanor. Her mom, who was usually too busy to give a damn about her, had curiously looked at her daughter while they were having breakfast.

Kazuha was humming as she buttered her toast, swaying her head to the beat of her own music.

"You look particularly happy this morning. I assume your beach trip went well?" Her mom asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

Kazuha looked at her, eyebrows raised. It was rare of them not to argue at the breakfast table, or anywhere for that matter.

"Hmm...I guess you could say that."

"Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself at least."

"Thanks."

Her mom sighed, and put her cup on the table.

"Zuha?"

"Hmm?"

"I know we don't always see eye to eye, and I know this...the recent struggle that we are having as a family is also taking its toll on you. I have been unfair to you, and I haven't been giving you the time that you need. I just wanted you to know that me and your father have spoken and I have decided to be the one to take custody of you. After everything, I realized how lacking I have been as a parent, and I would like if you can give me this chance to make it up to you? To start over as a family, even if it's just the two of us?"

Kazuha was stunned that she had paused what she was doing and looked at her mother. She hadn't realized that they had sat like that in silence for a few minutes now.

"Zuha?"

That broke her trance.

"Uh, yes?"

"What do you think?"

Kazuha was usually a prideful person. She had learned from her parents well, but today, she just didn't have the heart to refuse her mother.

"I think...yeah. I think we can try and start over, mom."

Her mother gave her the brightest smile she has seen in awhile. She got up and hugged Kazuha.

"Thank you, Kazuha. I know I don't deserve it, but I promise to do what I can starting today." she said.

Kazuha smiled back, she really did hope that this was going to be a positive change between the both of them.

"Okay, mom."

Her mother chuckled and gave her a knowing look.

"I better thank whoever that person is that caught your eye." Her mom said winking at her.

"Huh, what?"

Her mom shook her head in an amused fashion.

"Nothing. Come on, finish your breakfast, or else you'll be late. I'll be the one driving you to school today."

***

Kazuha had arrived at school, and as usual, the campus was buzzing with students this early in the morning. As she crossed the parking lot, she saw a familiar figure up ahead, talking to someone else.