Chapter 16

"You have to tell her," Emory says and I sigh.

When Devon suggested Washington D.C. we thought it was a great idea. And by we, I mean James. He was ecstatic about it. Why? I have no idea. But he immediately demanded we go there. So that's where we're planning on going. I just have to tell my mom.

I walk into the kitchen where I find my mother washing dishes. She didn't here me come in, or at least I think she didn't.

"What do you need, Camry?" she asks.

"Mom, um," I start.

She turns around and gives me a look.

"Let me rephrase that. What do you want, Camry?" she raises an eyebrow.

I take a deep breath. I love my mom but sometimes she can be a little controlling.

"Okay, so here's the thing. We've only been here a couple days and there are still people in the front yard. They won't leave," I start again.

"Honey, it's been like that since the day you left," she scoffs.

"Anyway, it's not exactly safe either. Anyone can break in and Rose or Devon could get hurt. We need to move to somewhere safer," I continue.

"I'm pretty sure this house is safe. But if it'd make you feel better we can hire some bodyguards or...," she trails off.

"Mom, we really need to move to a different location," I argue.

"And where would that be?" she snaps.

"The, um, White House," I mumble.

"Did you just say the White House? As in the White House?" her eyes are wide.

"Um, yeah. Devon kind of lives there," I shrug.

"What? Since when?" my mom looks shocked.

"Since, I don't know, President Bidder was elected," I snap.

"No need to get an attitude with me," she snaps back.

"Sorry, mom. Am I allowed to go to the White House or not?" I ask flatly.

She narrows her eyes at me and purses her lips. I know this face. It's her thinking face.

"I can't exactly stop you," she smiles.

"What?" I ask confused.

"You are a legal adult," she says pointedly.

"Right! I am," I nod.

"Be safe," she hugs me.

"We aren't leaving right now, Mom. Probably in the next couple of days, but not right now," I assure her.

"I'm so proud of you. You have become a beautiful young lady," she squeezes me tighter.

"Thank you," I pull back.

"Now get packing," she tells me.

I smile and walk back to my room. Inside, I find my friends anxiously waiting.

"So?" Devon's the one to break the silence.

"We're going to Washington D.C.," I smile.

"I'll call my people. Everyone else needs to pack," Devon says.

"Your people?" Rose raises an eyebrow.

"I have people," he defends himself.

"Sure you do," I roll my eyes.

He walks out of the room with the phone to his ear. I pull out my suitcase and start packing. Again. Dang, I have to stop moving so much. Who would have thought, me, a nobody would move around as much as I do?

"We leave in two days," Devon announces as he walks back in the room.

"Why two days?" I wonder.

"They have to prepare for us coming," he scoffs.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes.

Alexa and Rose stuff whatever clothes they had taken out back into their suitcases. James and Devon leave the room to pack up their stuff.

"Cam, am I allowed to go too?" Emory asks.

Whether she's being serious or playful, I can't tell.

"Emory, I don't think so. You still have the whole summer ahead of you," I hug her.

"I probably won't see you again for another couple of months," she complains.

"I'll call you," I promise.

"But...," her voice trails off.

"We're going to Washington and you can't stop me," I sing.

"Fine, but you have to call," she laughs

***

Over the next two days, we're rushing around the house packing things we might need. Even thought Devon assures us these things will be at the House, we pack them anyway. Early the next day, I wake to a bunch of noise. It seems there are a bunch of elephants walking around my house.

"Camry! Why aren't you awake?" a voice screeches.

"Huh?" I mumble and see Alexa staring up at me.

"The jet. It leaves in an hour," she says.

"Oh, and that means?" I sit up.

"You need to get up!" she pulls me out of the bed.

"Oh. Right. Of course," I nod and start pulling on clothes.

"Camry, you can't wear shorts over jeans," she shakes her head.

I quickly take that off and put on a different pair of jeans. Then I put on my favorite American Flag tank top. On the front is the country's flag and on the back is the rebel flag. I pull my hair up into a cute messy bun and put on a touch of makeup. We run into the living room where everyone is along with their luggage.

"I love you, baby. I can't believe it was only a couple months ago you were leaving for the selection and now you're going to our countries capitol," my mother hugs me.

"Yeah, it's not like I wanted to do any of this," I laugh.

"Fine, you can stay here. Don't come with us," Devon says. I stick my tongue out at him and he rolls his eyes.

"Send me pictures," Emory hugs me.

"I don't have a phone," I point out.

"Now you do," my mom says and hands me an iPhone. Huh. I probably won't use it.

"We need to go," Rose whines as there's a knock at the door. It opens and in comes a bunch of men in black suits.

"Bradsberry. Long time, no see," Devon says to one of the men.

"Good to so you, Devon," the man nods and him.

The other men take our luggage outside. Everyone else follow them outside. I glance back one more time to my mom and Emory, saying goodbye for good to my old life. I wasn't ready to leave my old life behind but now I am. I close the door of the house-because that's just what it is. A house. Home is where your friends are. Where your family is. And with that, I walk into the limo waiting for me.

 A/N: Heyyyy. Sorry I haven't updated. I was trying to finish up school. And I was busy. And by busy I mean reading. I probably won't update for another week and a half because I'll be at the lake. That's why I'm updating all of my stories today. Comment and Vote. xoxo Alexis.