Chapter Fourty-Three - Save

"Love will not save you, but it will hold your hand while you save yourself."

- Bianca Sparacino

Olivia Bennett

The slightest movement caused me pain in my side, where a large bruise was developing. Aaron regarded me gently as he helped me into the penthouse. Sebastian had helped us to the elevator but Aaron sent him on his way.

As I stumbled through the foyer, I was relieved to find the large, leather sofa. I dropped onto it, wincing at the sharp pain in my back.

Aaron joined me and began accessing the wounds that covered my body. I shook him off and tried to stand from the couch without assistance.

"Liv," He quickly grabbed onto my waist, "let me help you." He softened the grasp he had while supporting my balance.

"I want a shower." I took slow steps toward the bathroom across from my bedroom and Aaron followed closely behind me.

He opened the door for me, still expressing his concerns. "I don't think a shower is a good idea,"

I managed to hold on the counter while I undressed. Aaron prepared the warm water while I tied my hair into a messy bun on top of my head.

I entered the warm water, feeling a sharp sting from my cuts. Aaron headed towards the door, saying, "There's a towel on the counter," as he began closing it. Before he could leave, I urgently called out, "Aaron, please stay."

Without hesitation, he pulled his black shirt off, revealing the blank ink that covered his torso. I don't think I could ever grow tired of seeing his body.

In less than thirty seconds, he had undressed and joined me in the shower. The expression he wore was no more than sad, which made my heart sink.

When he realized I'd been staring at him, he stepped closer, "I'm sorry I let this happen." He whispered, his words mixing with the sound of the running water. He rested his head on my shoulder as he gently caressed my back, holding me close.

"You saved me." I reassured him as I wrapped my arms around his neck, allowing our bodies to be in full contact.

He pulled back, staring down into my eyes. "That's all I've wanted, Liv."

"What?"

"I just wanted to save you, Olivia." He rested his forehead on mine and I relished in his sweet gesture. "I love you." His words filled my heart with happiness.

Every bit of pain and suffering I'd endured during those nine hours I was without him slowly began to fade away, becoming nothing more than a distant memory.

"You did save me." He gently placed his hands on the backs of my thighs, lifting me from the shower tile. Our lips connected for a deep, passionate kiss and I let Aaron take away all of my pain.

Aaron wrapped a towel around my body and helped me out of the bathroom but I didn't want to leave the shower. I could have stayed there forever if it meant I'd never have to be without him again.

I grasped his hand with my two, gently trailing my fingertips over his knuckles. "Aaron," He looked back as he guided us to his room, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Saving me." I muttered. He came to an abrupt stop and turned to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I'd save you a million times over, baby." I bit down on my bottom lip as I stared at his. I didn't realize how significant these small moments were until I was sitting in that chair, trying to find peace in them.

He planted a gentle kiss on my lips before opening his door, "I'll get you a shirt from my closet." He offered. I nodded as I followed behind him.

His clothes consisted of white button-up shirts, black fitted jackets or black and white tees so my options were limited. I decided on a simple, black shirt which was way too big for me. The way it nearly covered my thighs proved that point.

"I need..." I hesitated. I cringed at myself being embarrassed to tell Aaron I needed a pair of underwear.

"Need what?" He grasped my chin with two fingers, making me look at him.

"Panties." I whispered.

A smile played on his lips as he leaned closer, his breath grazing my neck. "Or you could go commando." I pushed him away jokingly, and he disappeared into the hallway.

As I waited for him to return, I walked around his room, observing every little thing. I'd familiarized myself with this penthouse for the last few months, but never Aaron's bedroom.

Everything was black and sleek, modern. I admired his devotion to this plain color scheme as I found it boring.

"Are these okay?" I turned to find Aaron standing in the doorway, holding my black underwear. I shyly nodded and held out my hand.

He stepped closer, twirling the dark fabric around his index finger. "These are very cute."

"I know." I snapped, snatching them from his hand. He let out a low chuckle as I stepped into my underwear and pulled them up.

Exhausted from the events of the day, we wasted no time climbing into bed, seeking solace in the embrace of sleep. I made an effort to push away the thoughts of what had transpired, but occasional recollections found their way into my mind, reminding me of the challenges I had faced.

I pulled the small band from my hair, releasing my dark curls. Aaron lay on his back as he watched me prepare for bed. I figured he was becoming impatient so I fastened my pace.

"Take your time, princess." I melted at his nickname for me.

I nestled against him, finding comfort in his embrace, and rested my head on his chest. His gentle head massage intensified my weariness, and I surrendered to it. Closing my eyes, I let Aaron's soothing presence lull me into a peaceful sleep.

I hadn't considered what would happen next. Would Aaron forgive Adrian and move on? Despite the immense stress, pain, and suffering his brother had caused me, all I wanted was to cherish my time with Aaron without the burden of whatever consequences awaited Adrian.

I wanted to continue life knowing the both of us were safe and content with each other. But being married to Aaron Adair was never a peaceful scene, and I'd quickly realized that.