012

"come on! promise me you won't ever forget me when we break up!"

"yeseul, i'm not promising anything like that—"

"ugh, what's the problem? i just want you to promise me that our relationship wouldn't just be a fleeting moment to you! i don't want to be someone who's only a part of your life for a moment. i want to be able to be something to you at least."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"it's not your fault, i could've done more
like being upfront. honest about what i
want. but it's not like me to just say what
i feel. though i feel it, it's real."
-
. ( girl in red )

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
FLASHBACK

YESEUL

The party was finally over.

But as the crowd parted and all his friends had bid farewell, the two of them remained, earning goodbyes from people who somehow all knew Niki. Although Yeseul had much preferred she stood by his side the rest of the night as he was the only the person she knew there, his mother had taken the liberty of speaking to her and asking her many questions as she endeavored to learn more about the girl her son had brought to her sister's birthday party. For half the questions asked to her, she lied simply because she had no true answers to offer. She did not have a true answer when asked how Niki confessed to her, or how she came to realize she felt the same as her son. One question she did have throughout the conversation, how did his mother easily assume that it was Niki who liked her first? Honestly, she found it more believable that she had been the one to like him first.

By the time the venue was almost empty, Niki and Konon approached Yeseul and their mother, who still enjoyed the conversation she was sharing with her. Niki had initially warned her that they'd ambush her like this as soon as the party came to an end, and she had composed herself beforehand.

As soon as Konon joined in the conversation, Yeseul felt as if she's been talking for so long because of the many details she had shared with the family now sitting around her, including her supposed boyfriend who chimed in every now and then to answer questions she couldn't answer on her own. Like their mother, Konon assumed as well that it was Niki who first liked her. Did the family think of her so highly that they assumed it would be Niki chasing after her and not her?

Even as the staff cleared up the venue, until what seemed like a sort of mess turned into an empty venue, they talked the world with Yeseul. It was heartwarming in a way because they were so accepting of her, so ready to open their arms to the idea of possibly having her as part of their lives, and just the thought of it somehow had bring a sort of aching to her as she foresaw the inevitable end to the agreement she and Niki made. He had asked for two months from her and as of now, only a month has been consumed, leaving one more month to clear out the air for their upcoming breakup. This had been part of the reason why she was reluctant to bring her family into all this, because having to tell them that she broke up with a 'boyfriend' was harder than keeping it from them.

By the time they finally let Yeseul go, she bids them one final goodbye before Niki guides her to his car where inside of it resided his driver. As soon as she got inside the car, she immediately touched her feet that started to ache about an hour ago because of the heels. The only reason she endured it is because she thought pain to be part of beauty. The two always came together like a perfect pair.

"Are you okay?" Niki worriedly asks, eyeing her heel which she had been massaging with her thumb. She gave him a nod, still focused at easing the discomfort her feet was in.

"I thought you had two sisters?" Yeseul abruptly asks, remembering all of a sudden that Niki had once mentioned he had two siblings, one older and the other younger. Yet for the rest of the night, she had only spoken to one sister and because of the overwhelming amount of interest Konon had poured towards her, it had completely slipped out of her mind to ask for the whereabouts of their youngest sibling.

"Sola's in Japan with dad. For her, Japan is her home so when dad said he'd be staying there for a while, she immediately asked to go with him. We're flying to see them actually next week." He explained while she earnestly listen, laying off her feet finally and actually leaning on her seat as she now kept her eyes on him. "I'm surprised you actually didn't receive an invitation from them to go to Japan with us, they seem to really like you."

She chuckled. "If they had offered an invitation, you should be expecting to see me next week in Japan because there's no way I'm turning down that offer." She states, bringing laughter to Niki's lips.

Lost in their conversation, the two of them hadn't realized they finally arrived at her house which Niki continued to praise because of how big it was. She couldn't quite figure if he was saying that for the sake of being nice especially after finding out about the actuality of his wealth, or if he truly does find the house big that he wouldn't shut up about it whenever he sees it. Playing the role of boyfriend, he opened the door for her and even walked her to the gate.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow. In the meantime, take a rest. Parties can really take so much from you." He said, his lips pressed together into a thin line.

"You play the role of boyfriend quite well." She chuckled, her hand now already resting at the door, stopping herself from pushing it to continue speaking with him. "I really had fun tonight, even if everything was nerve-wrecking. I'll talk to you tomorrow as well, so go rest. I bet you had a more tiring night than I did."

"Good night, Yeseul." He says one last time before walking towards his car as she continued to watch his back grow further and further away from her.

When the car finally drove off, Yeseul finally entered the premise of her own home and headed inside where she saw her mother drinking a cup of tea as she busily read a magazine. She was greeted by her mother who asked her how her night was and if she enjoyed her time with her supposed boyfriend that she was deliberately hiding from her family. Doing what she was best at, that being evading her parents' scrutinizing gazes, she heads back to her room and fell to her bed in an instant. Her head had been buried in the softness of her pillow and as she recalled the night she had just spent with Niki, a quiet scream escapes her mouth.

He had her breathless throughout the night, he had her looking at him every time he stood up or simply sat beside her as he busily conversed with his friends, he had her in every moment that she simply found it torture that she just had to be pretend dating a man as beautiful as he was. How could someone as beautiful as him ever chose her to be their fake girlfriend? Couldn't he had just pulled anyone from that hallway? Couldn't he had just said another person's name?

Instead, there Yeseul was, unable to put into words how fast her heart rate was earlier or how her face warmed whenever he looked towards her and smiled. And it was not even the kind of smile you throw to someone out of courtesy, it was a genuine smile. She looked up at the ceiling and took deep breaths, and incessantly told herself to clear her mind before she descend into insanity because of the many thoughts playing inside her mind.

Stop thinking about him, Yeseul.

You're doing all this for a camera. A camera you could afford for yourself if you only knew how to save money!

She groaned.

But then she had stopped for a minute when a thought came into mind.

She spent the whole evening, playing a role that Niki had begged her into portraying but as the night progressed she had noticed one thing that she had just now remembered after thinking about it for a brief second during the party.

What was her significance there exactly? Why had he been so desperate to find a date that he even begged her to agree to their current arrangement?

Why exactly?

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
AUTHOR'S NOTE :

the flashbacks are getting too long im starting to miss present yeseul and riki