The One with Hazel Orbs

When Apo was a kid he's always afraid of the darkness

When Apo was a kid he's always afraid of the darkness. He got the feeling that the darkness was catching on him. Behind those blankness, he could feel eyes watching the way he moves, it was never pleasant to feel the pulling energy as he caught in the middle of the darkness. Night time has always haunted him, whenever the sun hit the horizon, the crawling horrified feeling in his small heart and skin. He hates how the powerful light easily burns out by the darkness of the night. He could be a little thankful as the moon shines his night sometimes, accompanying his terrified heart. Another thing he despised was when light burned out, a feeling of helplessness creeped through. It felt like the darkness consumed his soul. As dramatic as he can be, that's what he always had to endure

His older sister, Rana, finds it ridiculous. She loves the darkness as much as she loves the power she possesses. The night, in the darkness, is the only time she could feel like herself, being alone, away from the duty as a healer and a daughter. Being 17 years older than Apo, she had chosen to sacrifice herself for the younger one and their sick father. But he knew that she would never hold any grudge, if he could, he would help her. But being born as an infermum, he could never be on the same level as her and their father.

His family is epitome of the best healer in the island. They had been helping the town since the first time they set foot in the secluded island. Pure power that runs in the family's blood and flesh, they say. Healer genes are hard to come by, but generational healers were always a treasure. When Apo was born, for the first time, the superior genes of water element failed to show. An infermum in pure water healer family.

(Infermum; all people that born without power, also used as derogatory by family that their kids without power born from family of power)

"The light will always beat the dark, Po. We can make our own light with this burning fire", she said as she lit one candle, then another candle beside Apo's bed. His little body was covered in a worn out blanket, too afraid to step out of the bed. It was the first night Rana left him to sleep alone. The nightmare of the monster in his dream was terrifying him again. But the fire dancing lightening up the room and her soothing words bring his heart rate down. The fire was a beautiful, orange hot ember that cast a shadow of their profile. Darkness once again beat by the light, he childishly thought. He looks at his older sister, Rana looks tired but a smile still adorns her face. As a kid he has always trusted her despite her face that looks like him, almost the same. Everytimes, he sees his father, his bruises itch. Her beautiful blue eyes with a glint of purple, the eyes of a healer, always showing comfort and kindness unlike him.

They live in a small town on a distant island that only consists of almost 200 people. It is hard to stay alive on an island that is cursed by the whole country. The shelter and food they received was a blessing from the god. As the family of healers they are always selfless, give the supplies to the one that is really in need. Sometimes, the kindness was too much, until there was no food left in the house.