Chapter Fourty-Four - Reassurance

"Our journey is demanding enough that the need for reassurance as well as reminders is constant."

- Neal A. Maxwell

Olivia Bennett

I was awakened from my sleep by the sound of a distant conversation, and the cold air streaming in through the window only added to the discomfort.

As Aaron's voice carried a demanding tone, saying, "I need it done, now," I contemplated joining him in the kitchen. However, I assumed he was on a phone call and didn't want to interrupt.

Before getting out of Aaron's cozy bed, I extended my limbs above my head, stretching them out, and then pushed the covers off my body.

Despite yesterday being one of the worst days of my life, I slept soundly next to Aaron, feeling as peaceful as a baby. I couldn't tell if it was because of his amazing cuddles or if the bed itself was simply that comfortable.

As I looked around his room, my gaze landed on a small bookshelf tucked away in the corner. It occurred to me that I had never really taken the time to explore and become familiar with his room, but I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

My feet were silent against the hard-wood floor as I approached the small shelf. A couple of the books intrigued me but a black, leather journal intrigued me more.

I picked it from the shelf and realized it was Aaron's journal from middle school, which confused me because he doesn't write anymore, at least not when I'm around.

My finger trailed the pages before I found one with...blueprints on it?

I examined the page and discovered a detailed layout of a spacious house, with two floors, numerous windows, and my dream feature—a wrap-around porch. A smile formed on my face as I admired the drawing, yet I couldn't help but feel perplexed about why Aaron had it.

As I continued turning the pages, there were multiple entries about the teachers he disliked, which was majority of them. Aaron hated not being in control so every teacher found a way into his journal.

Curiosity piqued, I turned to the next page, only to find what appeared to be a poem or some form of written expression. Intrigued, I gently traced my finger along the ink and read it aloud to myself.

"Today, I say, "I do" but-"

"What are you doing?" Aaron's voice startles me from my immense focus on his journal and I quickly snap it shut, trying to hide it behind my back.

"Nothing," I sound so guilty. "W-why?"

He eyes me suspiciously as he closes some of the distance between us, "What's that?" He gestures to the arm that's behind me.

I contemplate running and dodging the situation entirely but instead decide it's best if I'm truthful so I pull his journal out from behind my back and place it into his hand.

"You've always been so nosey," He chuckles as he places the book back into its place on the shelf.

I shrugged sarcastically, "I'm not nosey," I argue. "I'm just...easily intrigued by things I shouldn't be.

He takes another step which closes every bit of distance there was between us, "Yeah?" His voice is tempting and his hand that's trailing down my back supports that.

I look away, trying to fight off my attraction for him but it's no use. His hand grasps my cheeks, holding my head forward, not allowing me to look away.

"Let me go," I dramatically rolled my eyes, waiting for him to let me out of his grasp.

He slowly shook his head, "Why would I?" Excitement flickered in his eyes for a moment before they returned to their usual dark state.

"Because I said so," I demanded.

He immediately let go of my face and his cold expression vanished, "That's hot, you know?" I looked at him, confused. "When you're bossy." He explained.

I pushed against his chest and stepped around him, "You know what's hotter?" I asked as I stood in the doorway, looking over my shoulder. "When you are."

A low chuckle sounded from his room as I entered the kitchen, hoping he'd already started a pot of coffee.

He joined me in the kitchen and took the mug out of my hand, filling it before handing it back to me. I smiled at his kind gesture and took a seat on the stool at the island.

"Olivia," His tone had no sense of playfulness, "I want you to go to the hospital." I immediately shook my head, denying his request. I was perfectly fine and anytime I did go to the hospital, they kept me there for weeks or even years.

Aaron wouldn't understand my frustration and I was happy he was worried about me but I couldn't go back, not after just getting out.

"At least let me look at you," He spoke softly and joined me on the stool next to mine.

I gave in and allowed him to access the wounds on my body. He observed them for a moment and vanished down the hallway.

I sipped my coffee slowly as a quiet ding sounded from the foyer, announcing that someone was here.

"Olivia!" Layla appeared around the corner with Natalie following closely behind. "What the hell?" She exclaimed as she eyed me from the other side of the island.

"What?" I glanced between the two of them, waiting for an explanation.

"We have been worried sick, and you haven't even bothered to check your phone!" Layla snaps at me as she walks the distance around the counter to pull me into her embrace.

I wrapped an arm around her, "I'm sorry," My voice full of sincerity. She gently rubbed the back of my head as she hugged me and I motioned for Natalie to join us.

"We got home late," Aaron appears from the dark hallway once more. "And I had her phone, that's why she didn't reply." I felt thankful for his covering for me. Truth is, I did see their messages, I just didn't have the energy to pick up the phone and respond to them. Seeing their reaction now though, I regret not texting back.

"Well," Layla paused for a moment. "Next time, let us know you're safe." I nodded my head, agreeing.

Aaron gently shoved Layla out of the way, causing her to dramatically gasp. "Are you the one with the first-aid kit, Layla?" He asked as he quickly glanced over at her. "I didn't think so."

I swatted at his arm as he ran an alcohol pad over my wounds, "Be nice." I sucked in a breath, trying to ignore the pain.

"Yeah," Layla said sarcastically. "Listen to your wife."

Aaron glanced up at me, "She likes it better when I'm the one in charge." My face instantly heated up, and I'm sure it was close to sharing the same color as a tomato.

"Ewww," Natalie theatrically gagged at Aaron's statement and I just dropped my head in embarrassment.

Layla laughed as she opened the fridge, pulling out a water bottle and then a second one for Natalie. I was happy to have both of them here. The last time I saw them was at the mall when Aaron suggested we part ways so I could rest in the food court. I'd wondered if Aaron blamed himself for making that plan or for leaving me alone at the table.

"Alright," Aaron began closing the first-aid kit, "The cuts will heal but they'll leave minor scaring." I glanced down at my legs which were covered in them and nodded my head.

"Hey," He slipped his hand under my chin, pulling my attention to him. "You're okay." He reassured me. I loved that he knew when I needed to hear things like that.

"Okay, enough, love birds." Layla shoved Aaron out of the way the same way he did to her. "We are taking you to the movies!" She exclaimed. I glanced between her and Natalie, but Aaron stepped in before I could respond.

"I'm going." Layla opened her mouth to argue but quickly closed it as she realized Aaron wasn't offering, he was demanding.