Chapter 8

The group were on a boat, sailing in thick fog.

M/n and Naruto were sitting in front of everyone, almost to the edge.

"This fog's so thick, you can't see anything." Sakura exclaimed while at the same time whispering.

"Are we even going in the right direction?" M/n sighed as he put his head on the palm of his hand.

The boat owner looked at everyone.

"The bridge isn't far now. Our destination's just ahead, The Land of Waves."

The fog began to clear up, revealing the huge unfinished bridge.

"Woah! It's huge!" Naruto yelled, fascinated.

"What? Quiet! I told you, no noise! Why do you think we're traveling like this, huh? Cutting off the engine and rowing, moving through the dense fog so they don't see us." The boat owner scolded Naruto.

M/n whistled. "I'm impressed, old man. I guess being a drunkard can make you construct a whole bridge."

Tazuna felt a tick mark appear on his forehead. "Shut it, you rascal!"

"Mr. Tazuna... before we reach the pier, I want to ask you something. The men who are after you, I need to know why. If you don't tell us, I'm afraid I'll have to end this mission when we drop ashore." Kakashi said as he looked at Tazuna.

Everyone stared at Tazuna, who looked down.

"I have no choice but to tell you. No, I want you to know the truth." Tazuna said.

Tazuna explained who was after him and what they wanted from him. His name was Gato, the wealthiest business leader. He's from very famous company but below the surface, he's a ruthless man who takes over businesses and nations. He sells drugs and contraband using gangs and ninja.

When Gato came to The Land of Waves, he used his money to take total control of their transport and shipping. He was after Tazuna because he wanted him dead. Gato fears that if Tazuna completed the bridge, he would break out of the village's control.

"So that's it. Since you're in charge of the bridge, you're standing in this gangster's way." Sakura restated.

"That means those guys we fought in the forest, they were working for Gato." Sasuke said.

Naruto and M/n made a hum sound. Naruto still confused while M/n got it.

"I don't understand. If you knew he was dangerous, knew he'd send ninjas to eliminate you, why did you hide that from us?"

"Because The Land of Waves is a small and poor nation. Even our nobles have little money. The common people who are building this bridge, they can't pay for an A or B-rank mission. It's too expensive. If you end the mission when you drop me ashore, there will be no bridge. They'll assassinate me before I reach home. But don't feel bad about that. Of course, my sweet little grandson will be upset. He'll cry."

Tazuna imitated a child's cry, wailing for their grandad.

The four Genin deadpanned at Tazuna.

"Oh, and my daughter will condemn the Ninja of The hidden Leaves, denouncing and blaming you for abandoning her father and living her life in sorrow."

Everyone groaned.

"Oh, well. it's not your fault. Forget it."

'What a sly old man.' M/n and Naruto side-eyed each other as if they were thinking the same thing.

Kakashi sighed and a scratched his headband plate. "Well, I guess we have no other choice. We'll have to keep guarding you."

"Oh, I'm very grateful." Tazuna said, acting surprised at Kakashi's agreement.