Memories

I loved sitting in the quiet, remembering when I was young. I had no worries, no responsibilities and no one to make proud.

Until I turned 12..

2 years ago

I was taking a slow walk back from the lake, I always enjoyed the peace and quiet after a lot of noise. The lake was a place where all the children would go to mess about, do things you're not supposed too..you know that sorta place. But I just went there for a splash about and some fun.

My peace never lasts long as a twin "boo" Lo'ak shouts grabbing my shoulder. "Haha very funny." I say as I roll my eyes "I can hear you. you're not very quiet" I say shrugging him off. "Perhaps I wasn't trying to be quiet" he reiterates back to me as I continue to walk back to our home.

"You know dad wanted to chat to you about something today. I've never seen him look so serious" Lo'ak jokes lightening the mood, I nod at his words..I just had this feeling, something wasn't right.

Lo'ak and I enter our home linking arms as my father greets us standing next to a random Na'vi I had never seen before. "Nàlàni, this is Ikàlu" Jake says ushering the boy forward, I raise my hand to my forehead slowly bringing it down greeting the boy as he does the same.

"Nàlàni, there's no easy way to say this. When you're old enough Ikàlu here is to be your mate." Jake says abruptly, I try to intervene "no. It is done. You're betrothed. His father is a mighty warrior, Ikàlu is at the top of all his training."

"Dad-I," I let out a sigh "this isn't fair..what about Kiri? She's the eldest..not me" I whisper as I look to the ground..I didn't want to anger him. "I love Kiri as my daughter. But she is not my blood you are. When I stand down from my Position Ikàlu will take my place with you by his side. You will be the next Tsahík after your grandmother." I shake my head not wanting to accept my fate, "but Kiri has been training to be the next Tsahík not me!" I say defensively. "I have chosen you. That is final. Kiri will still learn but you will have the title."

I couldn't accept this. I wouldn't. I walked right out of my home and back into the comfort of the trees. My dad is so willing to throw my whole life away! I've hardly lived, now when I come of age..I have no choice to who I  love

I hid away in my favourite tree, bringing my knees to my chest and hugging them, trying to shrink as much as I could. Hoping I could just disappear and not live this life that has already been planned for me so young.

I don't even know Ikàlu. He doesn't even know me, yet he looked so okay with this! Has he known longer than I have .. have I been kept in the dark my whole life.

The boy looked a little older than me, maybe by a year or two. So perhaps he has know longer. That annoyed me even more. How long has my life been planned for me.

As I said before. My peace never lasted long. Only one person knew of my hiding place, the boy who knew me best.

"Hi Lo'ak" I whisper as he sits beside me, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulder "did you know" his eyes widen "no of course not. I would've told you if I did, you know that. We never keep secrets remember?" I nod my head as I lean on his shoulder, "I don't agree with it Làni. Not one bit." He says angrily.

Present day

I will never forget that day. How can I when it still haunts me. I'm 14 now..he's 16. Our clans legal age to mate is 18, some clans are younger, for this I am thankful we're not. He's got 2 years till he's 18..I managed to persuade my dad to let me wait till I was 18 too. I have 4 years of some freedom before I loose my life forever. I see him as a friend but not someone I love.