Dream

I jolted awake with a fright as I rapidly check myself over.. nothing, no bullet wounds, not even a scratch. I was okay, I didn't die "Nàlàni!" My father shouts as he rushes by my side, "you're awake" he says with a smile. "What happened?" I ask confused, "you hit your head really hard , you've been out for a few days" he says concerned. "Where are we?" I ask, "how hard have you hit your head Làni? We're home" my twin jokes as he crouched to my side.

I looked all around me, I was home, back in the forest in our cosy tent, "she's awake!" I heard a boy shout as he ran into the tent. "Ikàlu?" I say shocked..I was expecting Aonung, "are you okay my love" he asks concerned as he takes my hand into his. "Where's Aonung" I questioned my family as they gave me a confused look, "why are we not at the Metkayina clan anymore?" I ask pushing for answers.

"Nàlàni..we don't know who Aonung is. We've never left our clan." My dad spoke, "have you been seeing someone else?" Ikàlu says hurt. "Nàlàni..have you forgotten we are to be mated?" He added to his sentence. "No she's okay, she must've just hit her head pretty hard" my dad says reassuring the boy, "but you said it was my choice to love" I whisper to him.

"We never had that conversation. You are meant
to be with Ikàlu, remember?" He spoke, "but I don't want to" I say quietly to him, "well you are. We had this conversation ages ago. You are to mate, he will keep you safe" he spoke a bit more harshly this time.

Was it all a dream.. I made up Aonung in my mind, I never got to fall in love I never got to make the choice. "Are you okay..you look sick?" My dad questions, "I think I just need a minute" I say, as he nods his head leaving me and Ikàlu alone.

I slowly start to stand up, "take it easy" Ikàlu says quickly catching me as my legs buckled beneath me. "You okay?" He says as he holds me close to his chest, "yeah..I'm ok" I say in a whisper as he helps me stand. "We'll just take it slow okay" he says with care, "I was so worried about you" he added. "I'm sorry.." I whispered in response. I really wasn't sure what else I could say..

"Shall we go get something to eat?" He asks as I nod my head, he stayed close by my side as we made our way over to the campfire. He was worried I'd fall again and I understood why. My legs felt like jelly I really must've been asleep for ages, my body got used to doing nothing.

I was greeted by a lot of my clan as we approached the campfire, many were pleased to see that I was awake and well. But I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, nothing seemed right. This whole situation just didn't seem right.

I made my way over to my family, I was bombarded by hugs from everyone, "Nàlàni you're finally awake! You can do my hair again now!" Tuk says with a massive smile as I chuckle. "I'll do it after we've eaten, yeah?" I say to her with a smile as she nods her head eagerly in response.

"I'll go get us some food" Ikàlu spoke as he walked off, "are you excited! You and Ikàlu finally get to be together soon." Kiri spoke as he walked off, I gave her a confused look, "I've got 2 more years?" I question her. "No you and Ikàlu asked to be mated earlier" she says back to me in a duh tone, "what..Kiri you know I don't want this" I say to her shocked.

"You've never said that? You always said you loved Ikàlu you just haven't told him that yet" she says, "you what" Ikàlu spoke behind me as he froze in his place, dropping our food to the floor. "Nàlàni I've waited so long for those words!" He says with joy as he embraces me in a big hug, I couldn't say anything. I was so shocked, I don't know what happened, but I never said that, I never wanted this.

"I love you" he says as he goes to lean in for a kiss, I quickly swerved it as his face now held a frown, "what's wrong..we've kissed before" he says confused as he brushed my hair behind my ear. I couldn't take this anymore, I shoved him off me as I stood up.