Chapter 13

Hero

"So I have both good news and bad news" The nurse states, making me very nervous. Everyone is silently looking at her. "Kel is alive and the medication he took is called Zolpidem, which is used for insomnia." We all nodded. "So we pumped out his stomach, but we don't know when he'll wake up." My heart stopped. What does she mean she doesn't know. He should be fine now. "Though we got some of the medication out of him system, he did take the whole bottle and half of it started affecting his body by the time we got to him. He's honestly lucky to have even made it this far."
"So you have no clue when or if he'll wake up?"
"Yes sir." The room is silent. The world is slow. Everything has stopped and it feels like it won't start again until he's up and smiling again. But that might not happen ever again. Suddenly Basil speaks. "Can we go see him?" He said it very quietly. "Of course." she replied in a very kind voice.

As she took us to his room I made a mental note that his room was room 43 on the top floor. She slowly opened the door and there he was. My heart fell to my feet when I saw him. It didn't look like him. It wasn't him. It was like an alien replace my brother. But I know I'm partly to blame for that. I let it get this bad. He laid in the hospital bed, breathing mask over his face. His shoulder to his elbow was covered in bandages on both arms and his forearms were covered in stitches. He was very pale. He had purple bags under his eyes. His hair was the longest it's ever been, which was to his shoulders, his hair was matted and I knew I would have to deal with it if he wakes up. Aubrey and Basil stood silent.
They were the quietest they've ever been.

Aubrey

This is the most fucked up shit I've ever seen. He looked so terrible. But you could blame me for not noticing it as well. We did this to him. We basically killed him. All I could do is stare. There's nothing to say in this situation. The only one who would have something to say to lighten the mood is currently unable to do so. Will he even wake up? Do I have to learn to live without him? I don't wanna do it all again, especially knowing I had so many chances to stop it. He tried so hard to keep everyone together, but instead his whole world fell apart. I was so worried about what I was going through, I didn't stop to think that he was going through the same thing. He lost Mari too. He's grieving too.

Basil

The scene in front of me is one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I suddenly felt I could be to blame for this. Like I could've noticed sooner. I could've stopped him, yet I didn't. I feel so lost. I feel so useless and I don't know how to make it go away. He was the only one able to make me at the very least smile,  but right now he wasn't even able to put on a smile for himself. If I'm being honest looking back on it his smiles make me nauseous. They were just so fake. They were showing that he wasn't ok and no one was able to see through it. I can never imagine you through something like like that. But we did that to him. We all hurt him more than we could ever know. But it's to late now. He's dying. He's dying slowly and painfully, and there is nothing we can do to stop it. We have to do this all over again. This wouldn't have happened if I didn't kill Mari. This is all my fault. I need to get to Sunny.

Hero

The room is silent. All you can hear is the slow beeps of the heart monitor. It was quiet.