Chapter Four

Weeks had gone by since Elise had left, and the Christmas Ball had arrived. It was tradition that the Monarch and Consort of Acadia invited all the Noble and many of the Aristocratic families to the Château de Montcalm for a ball one week before Christmas Day, and it was mine and Helene's second time hosting.

Etienne had still barely spoken to me since Elise left, but we'd agreed, that for appearance's sake, we'd act like doting siblings whenever we were in public.

Helene and I stood with my Maman and Etienne welcoming guests at the ballroom entrance, (Gabrielle, as she was a year away from being old enough to attend, was upstairs in her rooms).

The announcer looked to his list before calling out the next guest. "The Marquis of Toulouse and guest."

The Marquis and his female guest made their way over to us. They bowed and curtsied respectively before the Marquis spoke. "Your Majesties, and Your Highness, what a lovely evening for a ball."

"It is, is it not, Monsieur Toulouse?" I replied. "And who might this young lady be?"

"Ah, this happens to be my sister's daughter, Cloe DuPont. She's come to live with me while she attends college in Grand-Pré."

"It is wonderful to meet the famous Queen Marie of Acadia." Mademoiselle DuPont greeted, but she kept eyeing Etienne.

"And it is wonderful to meet you, Mademoiselle." I pointed out my family as I named each. "This is my wife and Consort, Queen Helene. My Maman, Dowager Queen Genevieve, and my brother, Prince Etienne. He has recently been ennobled as the Archduc of Grand-Pré. The only archducdome in Acadia."

Mademoiselle Cloe curtsied to each in turn. "It is lovely to meet you all. Do you attend the Universitie Saint-Marie still, Your Highness?"

"No, I do not. I graduated last year." Etienne explained.

I was uncomfortable with the looks that young Mademoiselle Cloe was giving my brother. Elise had only been gone a month and a half, and she and Etienne had not officially broken up, yet it seemed the girl was quite taken with my little brother.

"Perhaps His Highness would like to open the dance with Cloe since his usual dance partner is not here?" Monsieur Toulouse suggested. "If you are alright with that, Your Majesty?"

I faked a smile. "Why should it bother me? It should be Etienne and Mademoiselle DuPont you are asking."

Mademoiselle Cloe turned to Etienne. "Would you do me the honour, Your Highness?"

"I would be the one who would be honoured, Mademoiselle." Etienne reached out a hand as the musicians struck the first cord.

I pulled Helene to the dance floor, and we opened the dance together. After the first dance, I retreated to mingle with the Nobles who had come and wished for an audience with the Monarch.

About halfway through the night, Helene came over to me with some wine. We both watched as Etienne twirled Mademoiselle Cloe on the dance floor.

"I have a bad feeling about her." Helene admitted.

"I agree. Something is off, something that I believe will take time to reveal itself."

"So, we are agreed then?"

I nodded. My wife and I could often communicate almost telepathically. "I will have Deschamps look into her and her family's background. I am sure that Monsieur Toulouse is clean, but what of her father's family? Her accent is from France, I am sure she was raised there. I will have him find out more for us."

Helene sighed out of relief. "Thank you, Marie. I was worried."

"You are very welcome. But in the meantime, keep an eye on Etienne for me. With our recent...difficulties, I want to be sure that young girl does not get a grip on him too tight."

"Do not worry, I will. I will keep a very close eye on them."

I silently prayed that Elise would figure her heart out soon and come home because I was afraid if she did not, she may end up losing Etienne forever. I sighed, wishing there was a way for them to be a common-law couple and have Elise take the title of Archduchesse, but I knew that Parliament would never allow a law change like that and that the Nobles would never be in favour of it.