Chapter 2: She Looks Just Like a Dream (Bella)

Song: "She" by Dodie

My mind raced as I led the girl towards a restaurant just across the street from the concert venue. I looked back at her, taking in her long brown hair and pink lips, her crochet top and the tattoos on the side of her ribs, the little pin on her shorts reading "my pronouns are she/her". Suddenly, the air around me seemed to thicken. She's the prettiest girl I've ever seen . . . and I just about mowed her down like a bloody bison.

"Bella, you don't have to help me, it's ok," she whispered. Something in my chest cracked at the thought that she believed she wasn't worth caring for.

" Of course I have to love," I whispered back, "what's your name?" She looked at me, shocked that I would ask, I waited with growing anticipation as she took a second to say her name...

"Alex." Alex. My whole body warmed at her name.

We finally reached the restaurant and I pushed open the door, letting her through in front of me. I waved at Mackie behind the counter.

"You can go back there Alex," I say pointing to the waiting area with beige couches "I'll be right back." I smile at her, in what I hope is a reassuring way. She walks toward the room and I quickly make my way to Mackie.

"Hey, do you have a first aid kit?"

"Sure kiddo," she turns to get it out of the cupboard, "who's the girl? Someone special?"

"Ehm... no," I blush. She gives me a look that tells me she isn't fooled. I take the first aid kit she holds out to me and I make my way to where Alex is waiting, her shoulder still dripping blood down her arm, but she doesn't seem to notice.

"How do you know the lady from the front?" She asks quietly as I take out a cotton swab from the first aid kit.

"Her name is Mackie. I hide in here from paparazzi quite a lot, she always keeps her doors open for me"

"That's nice," she smiles and I want to take a picture just to be able to rewatch the way her eyes light up and her cheeks fold into dimples. I slowly reach out to her shoulder with the cotton swab which is now doused in alcohol disinfectant, she winces as I make contact with her pale skin.

"I'm sorry love, are you ok?" At my words, she let out a small sigh and we make eye contact.

"You can't keep calling me love"

"Why not?"

"You're giving my brain the wrong ideas"

"What if I want to do that?" She lets out a breath and we both fall quiet, only the sound of our breathing audible in the silent room. I go back to work on her shoulder.

"So, love, what brings you to England," I break the silence.

"I go to King's College, just finished my first year"

"She's smart," I joked. She smiled again and my stomach did a somersault. This is not normal.

 I pulled a bandaid out of the first aid kit and slowly peeled off the back. As I stuck it on her arm she turned to look at me, her face so very close to mine.

"Thanks, Bella"

"Of course, Alex"

"I – should go," she started to get up. Shit

"Um – Alex wait," I call out suddenly. She freezes and looks at me again, an emotion behind her eyes I couldn't quite place. "Can I have your number? In case I want to keep giving your brain the wrong ideas or something..."

"Oh, yeah totally – feel free to do – that whenever," she stammered. I hand her my phone and she types in her number. She smiles shyly and then turns towards the door. I'm left standing in Mackie's restaurant with one thought on my mind: What just happened....