Chapter 3: The One You Think About As You Lie Awake (Alex)

Song: "Can't Take My Eyes off You" by Frankie Valli

What just happened?!?  I walked out of the restaurant and rushed back across the street to the concert. Outside of that room, where Bella had just rendered me completely useless just by asking me for my number, nothing had changed. But I had. 

I walked, half-conscious of where exactly I was, and caught sight of Oliver's green hair in the crowd; they were conversing with a person wearing a short green dress. I would have to ask them about their night later, but right now there was only one thing on my mind. That thing happened to have brown hair, round glasses, and a smile that could stop the world.

"Woah Alex," they said as I tugged their hand firmly away from the group.

"I need to tell you something!" I whispered. They must have seen the look on my face because they promptly complied.

"Shit, what happened?" They said when we finally found our way out of the crowd of concert-goers.

"Don't freak out, but I just ran into Bella Ramsey"

"What?"

"Bella Ramsey, Ellie in The Last of Us, love of my fucking life, Oliver, keep up." They stared at me with their mouth hanging open.

"Wha–"

"I ran into Bella Ramsey and I think – they asked me for my number..." That seemed to bring them back to life.

"What do you mean you think?! Did you give Bella fucking Ramsey your number or not"

"Yeah – I did"

"Holy..." I didn't hear them finish that sentence because I was pulling them farther from the crowd. We rode the tube back to campus in silence and only when we were safely in our dorm did Oliver break out of their disbelief.

"Alexandra Dayton you better tell me every little detail, and don't you dare leave anything out." I smiled, finally letting myself think about what had happened; that the person I'd secretly been crushing on since long before I was out had asked me for my number. Oliver and I did not go to sleep for quite a while and the entire time we talked about our respective nights my mind continued to race. But when I finally laid my head against my pillow and pulled on my dark blue blanket, my thoughts slowed so that the only thing on my mind was the person who had now found a home there: Bella.