Chapter 11: Baby, I'm Yours (Bella)

Song: "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" by Girl in Red

The first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes was the ray of sunlight that was reflecting through the window of my apartment. For a second, I was disoriented by the fact that I was not in my room, but when my eyes landed on Alex sleeping on the couch it all came back to me.

Her shallow breathing reminded me of the way her breath had hitched when I kissed her, her arms by her side of the way her hands had made their way into my hair. I shook my head, trying to not pull an Edward Cullen and get caught staring at her sleep; but with the morning light flooding the room, her soft features looked perfect. Her rosy lips complimenting her sloped nose and freckles: Perfect.

"Bella?" Her eyes fluttered open as her hands moved to rub her face.

"Good morning Alex," I smiled and reached to push a lock of hair out of her eyes. She watched my hand and then studied my face for a second.

"Did we kiss last night?" I looked at her, my stomach sinking at the thought that this didn't mean as much to her as it did to me.

"Um... yeah. Is that ok?"

"Yeah! It's more than ok Bella. I just thought maybe it was a dream." I let out a breath and smiled.

"Do you want to do it again just in case?" She made a sound of agreement as she got on her knees and leaned in to give me a short peck. As I leaned in for more, she pushed me back.

"Nuh uh, I need to go wash up." I huffed in protest and crossed my arms she laughed as she made her way to the bathroom.

When I heard the water running, I rolled off the couch and announced loudly, "Fineeee, I'll make breakfast."

The pancakes were nearly ready by the time Alex emerged from the bathroom.

"What took so long beauty queen?" She gave me a look but did not respond. She sat on the stool in front of the kitchen island and I served her a plate. I sat down next to her but did not start eating. Instead, I turned to her.

"Alex"

"Hm?" She looked at me, her mouth full of food.

"I know this is really fast," my eyes locked with hers, "but this feels really right. I don't know how to explain it –"

"No I get what you mean," she interrupted, "I feel the same way. You feel like home." I smiled.

"So, I guess what I was wondering," I continued, "was -- if you wanted to be my girlfriend." There was a second of pause, my heart beating so loud I was sure she could hear it. Then she smiled and my heart seemed to stop.

"Yes! Yes, of course, I'll be your girlfriend Bella. I'd love nothing more!"

By the time Alex left my apartment later that morning I could not shake a feeling of immense gratitude for the circumstances that brought me to her. In the millions of years that humanity existed, we were alive at the same time. And of the hundreds of places I could have been the night of pride, I happened to be at that concert and knock her over. It seemed that the stars had aligned just for me, how else would the most beautiful girl in the world be mine? 

What a day to be gay :)