Chapter 10: They're So Pretty It Hurts (Alex)

Song: "Kiss Her You Fool" by Kids That Fly

The elevator dinged to signify we had reached the right floor and I walked out silently following the woman down the corridor. I clenched my fist around my t-shirt as I walked, my heart rate picking up with every step, until we were standing in front of apartment 40A and I could hear my heart in my ear. I looked at the woman to make sure she couldn't hear it too, but she was facing the door. Suddenly, she raised her fist and knocked sharply, I held my breath when I heard noise from inside. The door swung open and all the air I had been holding in suddenly rushed out; my attention falling on the two brown eyes that I had seen in my dreams all week.

"Alex!" I hear my name come out of Bella's mouth and smiled. I turned to look at the woman from the reception but she was gone. This is really happening.

"Are you gonna come in?" Bella's British accent broke me out of my spiraling and I walked through the doorway taking in the apartment. A distinct smell radiated from the kitchen that made my stomach growl. 

"Are you making lasagna?" I asked.

"Yeah, I hope that's ok love." My stomach dropped: love. Bella looked at me as if they knew exactly the effect of that singular word.

"I love lasagna!" They smiled, and it was the most wonderful thing I'd ever seen in the world.

"Come with me then," they took my hand and led me to the kitchen, "I was thinking we could eat and then watch Heartstopper."

"That sounds perfect." Bella walked over to the oven and checked on the lasagna, then reached for an oven mit and worked on taking it out. I realized that I was still holding their hand and that it would most likely be easier if I let go, but I couldn't bring myself to. I stood next to them as they pulled the glass pan out of the oven. Once we made our way to the counter, they squeezed my hand and let go, grabbing a knife to cut the lasagna into even pieces. Then, with our plates of food stacked high, they led me to the dining table outside of the kitchen. There were only two chairs at the table, on opposite sides. Bella frowned, set down their plate, then proceeded to drag the two chairs next to eachother.

"Much better," they said, and I laughed. As we both sat down, I realized that I felt truly at ease, something that hadn't happened in any of my past relationships. But I didn't want to think about that now, all I wanted to think about was Bella.

20 minutes later we were finished eating. I was laughing at a joke Bella had made and felt supremely happy.

"Are you ready to go see our favorite gays?" They said, after carrying our plates to the kitchen. I nodded vigorously as we threw ourselves on the couch facing a large television. As the Netflix logo lit up the screen, I slowly inched over toward where Bella was sitting until I could feel the heat of their legs next to mine. The show started and they moved over just enough so that our legs touched and I felt an almost electric sensation make its way up my spine. 

By the end of the episode, I had my head against Bella's torso and their arm wrapped around my chest, I'm not sure how we got into that position but I wasn't complaining. We stayed that way for another 2 episodes but when the end credits rolled Bella turned off the tv. I looked at them curiously.

"I was thinking we could save some to watch next time?"

"Yeah! Of course," beaming internally that there would be a next time.

"We should do something else," they whispered.

"Like what?" I answered, breath heavy as I realized how close our faces were.

"I have some ideas..." My stomach did a somersault but I tried not to show my nerves as I continued to look into their eyes.

"Alex..." they continued

"Yeah?"

"Can I kiss you?" I nodded and then our lips met, softly at first but then slowly gaining fervor.

At that moment, there seemed to be nothing else in the world but me and Bella.