2- New job

Silas' P.O.V.

I pulled into the parking lot of my favorite diner in Colorado. This place looked like it was right out of the fifties and just a few miles down the road from my place so I guess you could say I was a regular. I loved cooking but since it was just me now, I haven't enjoyed it as much.

I got off my motorcycle and looked around before going inside. Chances are at some point I'd be recognized but right now nobody knew me here, one of the many reasons why I chose this spot to live. Being born into the life I was... watching behind my back was like second nature to me. Whether there was an active threat or not you learn to be cautious and it's not something you just grow out of.

Plus, it's always good to check your surroundings no matter who you are.

I was in heaven being back on my bike again and looking forward to some down time so I could work on an older motorcycle I found yesterday.

"Good morning." The older woman greeted me as I walked in and sat down at the island and placed a menu down in front of me.

I smiled. "Morning Betty."

"Coffee?"

"It's like you read my mind, gorgeous."

She smiled, placing a coffee cup down in front of me and filled it to the top. "There ya go Stone, I'll be back in a few minutes to take your order."

The name Stone was an alias I was using. Most people might not recognize me here but if I said I was Silas Hale, that was just asking for trouble.

I nodded and started looking over the menu. She came back a short time later and took my order.

I was watching the news, sipping on my coffee enjoying the low chatter of the other people in the diner when my phone started vibrating. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and answered it.

"Hey, Nico."

"Hey. Sorry I missed your call yesterday. We had some clean up that took a lot longer than anticipated."

"Is it all good now?"

"Yeah. How did everything with Vasco go?"

"It went. I'll be okay if I never have to deal with them again."

"Aaron wasn't too happy you took that job you know."

I dropped Finn off a few days ago and got rid of the car so there was no evidence of me being connected to Finn or the Los Temidos. "Yeah, I know. Don't worry, I told him one favor. We're through now."

"Good. So, what are you up to today?"

"I'm at that diner by the garage. Then I'm going to be working on a motorcycle I found. Doesn't run at all so it should be fun trying to get it going again."

"Retirement sucks, huh?" Nico teased, making me laugh.

Nico and I continued talking until Betty came over and placed down my food.

"Can I get you anything else right now?" She whispered, trying not to interrupt my conversation.

"No, I'm good. Thank you."

Betty turned around and walked away. "My breakfasts here, Nico. I'll talk to you again in a few days?"

"Alright old man. Take it easy and stay out of trouble."

"Who are you callin old man? I'm as young as ever, son."

"Yeah, yeah. Love ya."

I chuckled. "Love you too. Bye."

"Bye."

I put my phone in my pocket again and started eating. Nico and I are very close. I had him when I was fourteen which wasn't my proudest moment in life but Nico ended up being the best thing that's ever happened to me. We've definitely had our ups and downs because I was a kid myself trying to do the single parent role with some help from my parents and brother but I would do it all again if I had to.

Flipping through the paper on the table, my thoughts were interrupted with the reporter on the television... "Breaking news on this top story when we come back from a commercial break."

"Oh gosh, I wonder what's happening now?" Betty mumbled to herself as she put empty plates down in a basket.

I didn't say anything, as long as it had nothing to do with me or my family it didn't matter to me. I just continued eating, watching as she turned the volume up. I finished skimming through the paper until the news came back on and brought my attention back to the television again.

"Now for today's top story. We have more information about the heist that took place in an exhibit gallery in West Hollywood overnight. They're saying the woman everyone is calling Laverna, the goddess of thieves has stuck again. The crown of Queen Alice was the only thing that was taken and has been said to be worth over twenty six million dollars. Her and her crew are known for the biggest art heist on record with a total of five hundred million dollars in London ten years ago. The art stolen has never been recovered and most likely sold in the black market which makes us wonder what she's going to do with the crown?"

Betty let out a whistle and turned towards me. "I remember hearing about the heist in London. I wonder why she's been quiet for so many years?"

"There's many tales about this woman, some even say she's a ghost since nobodys actually seen her before. There's even been speculation that she resided somewhere in the United States but nobody knows for sure, it's all hearsay."

"How do you know so much?"

"I'm a history buff and I like this kind of stuff." I shrugged my shoulders, smiling her way.

"Okay, so if nobody's seen her before... how does anyone know she's actually a woman?"

"Exactly, they don't. With being light on the feet and fitting into small spaces they just assumed it's a small framed woman. Some say it's a husband and wife team, some also say it's a father and daughter team where others say she works all alone. I guess unless they are caught, we'll never know the truth."

"Huh."

"Or maybe she really is a ghost, maybe it's Queen Alice coming back for what is rightfully hers?"

"Maybe." She giggled like she didn't believe a word I was saying or amused, I couldn't tell as she walked away again.

After breakfast I went straight to the garage and started working on the new motorcycle. Later that night, I was tightening down the last of the bolts to the part of the engine I rebuilt today, getting ready to go upstairs to make some dinner when my phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Silas, it's Leo. I'm not sure if you're interested or not but I have a job for you."