20- Lady in Red

Daniella's P.O.V.

"So, you and your Dad shared the same hobbies?"

I chuckled to myself as I wiped my mouth off. "If you mean a thief, then yes, he was one of the best and taught me everything I know."

"I have so many questions."

I started laughing as I sat back. "Okay. What would you like to know?"

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Where do I begin? How young were you when it all started?"

"I was five when I took my Dads best friend's wallet. Dad started laughing and joked about how I was going to be better than him one day. The funny thing is... Dad actually didn't want me out in the field, doing this. He wanted better things for me but I looked up to him so much, in my eyes he was like a superhero and I wanted to be just like him. When I was fifteen, Dad and I got into a huge fight about it and I ended up storming out of our house. I remember walking down the busy streets when I decided that I was hungry so I started taking money as I passed by people. I walked into a Starbucks, got myself a coffee and lunch. Dad joined me shortly after, shaking his head with a smile. That's when my training began."

"You're a very stubborn woman."

"Yes, I am. I took 'don't' as my own personal challenge." I smiled, shrugging my shoulders.

"What do you do with the stuff afterwards?"

"It depends. Most of it is sold on the blackmarket. I have a few things I've kept but the only thing I really want are the vases."

"Why do you want these vases so badly?"

"Those are something my Dad and I always talked about for as long as I can remember. When normal girls were getting princess stories read to them, he would tell me stories about the vases and other ancient artifacts. He bought the first vase before I was born, then collected the second one when I was a few years old. I've always loved antique things so it was our mission to collect them together. We got the third one when we were in Brazil but when I moved to California after he died they were taken from me and that's why I went to New York when I found out who had them, along with the others."

"The serial numbers on all of them. What do they mean?"

"Nobody really knows for sure. Some say it leads to a lost treasure from an ancient Chinese family, but together all the seven vases are worth forty-five million dollars. Just having these in my possession is a dream, it's not even about the money. The last one is known to be in Spain somewhere but..." I paused for a moment. I couldn't tell him the truth on why I promised both my dad and brother I would never go there.

"What?"

"Nothing. I don't know where it is exactly. So I guess it will stay a dream and I'll have to settle for just the six vases." I looked down at my lap and decided to be completely honest. "Stealing isn't something I enjoy doing anymore, sure there's still that thrill of it all but I want to be done. My brother and I had plans to leave the United States and start over together somewhere. I love my coffee shop, I just want a normal life... that's my new dream."

Silas studied me for a minute before dropping it. "I know you don't talk about him a lot but you get a look in your eyes whenever you talk about your brother. You two were really close, weren't you?"

"Yes. He was my best friend. I actually didn't know him until I was older. We have different fathers, so when my mom got pregnant with me, she let me go and I went to live with my Dad. My brother found me when I was twenty two after our Mom had died. We instantly hit it off. Unfortunately, I only got six years with him."