chapter three

Aurora sat in Tanner's class the next day listening to him dread on and on about the subject of the day

"World war II ended in... anyone got anything?"

The class was silent as Aurora looked out the window watching a crow fly and take a seat on a branch near by, it tilted its head at Aurora causing her to furrow her eyebrows confused.
"Miss Sommers, maybe you can enlighten us."

This caught Auroras attention causing her eyes to dart to the teacher, "I'm sorry?"
"When did world war II end?" Tanner deeply sighed becoming slightly irritated causing Aurora to swallow and sit up straighter.
"oh, 1945. Sir." Aurora responded
"very good." Tanner complimented causing Aurora to raise an eyebrow suspicious on why he was being so nice all of a sudden but she shrugged it off.

"How about Pearl Harbor." Tanner wondered glancing around the classroom to see Elena and Stefan exchanging glances.
"Miss Gilbert?" Tanner called out gaining Elena's attention, "hmmm?"
"Pearl Harbor?"
"Um.." Elena trailed off
"December 7th, 1941." Stefan replied
"Thank you, Miss Gilbert." Tanner rolled his eyes causing people to chuckle
"Anytime." Stefan smirked
"Very well. The fall of the Berlin wall." Tanner challenged.
"1989." Stefan replied and based off of Tanner's suspicious expression he added on, "I'm good with dates, sir."

"Are you? How good? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act." Tanner ordered
"1964."
"John F. Kennedy assassination."
"1963."
"Martin Luther King."
"'68"
"Lincoln"
"1865"
"Roe vs. Wade."
"1973"
"Brown vs Board."
"1954."
"The battle of Gettysburg."
"1863"
"Korean war."
"1950 to 1953."

"Ha! it ended in '52."
"Uh, actually, sir. it was '53." Aurora nodded in agreement
"Look it up, somebody. Quickly." Tanner ordered causing students to pull out their phones.
"It was 19....53." a student replied causing Tanner to become defeated resulting in Aurora to glance over at Stefan as he sent her an impressed exchange causing her to give him a tight smile before turning back to the lesson.

Heading outside, Aurora noticed Bonnie and Elena over at cheer practice which she was going to. However, something caught her eye. Stefan sat on the bleachers, watching the football team practice. This caused her to sigh before heading over to him and sitting down next to him on the cold bleachers.

"You know, if you like football enough to drool over it then maybe you should just try out."
Stefan chuckled lightly, "how do you even know if I'm any good?"
"I heard about that throw against Tyler and Matt. It sounded impressive."
"Much like your historic knowledge. How do you know so much about the past?"
"I'm assuming the same way you do. Lots and lots of alone time, puzzles and -"
"-reading." they said together causing them to look at each other understandingly.

"It keeps my mind off of things. Let's me be able to do the things I need to do." Aurora admitted Stefan nodded understandingly.
"Well, I know this might sound a bit strange since we don't really know each other but at my house there's a huge library that you're always welcome to use if you ever need that escape."