chapter sixteen

The front door creaks open as Jenna, supported by Jeremy, Aurora, Elena and Matt, makes her way into the cozy living room

The front door creaks open as Jenna, supported by Jeremy, Aurora, Elena and Matt, makes her way into the cozy living room. Matt glances at Jenna with concern etched on his face.

"Easy. Grab the door, Jer." Matt ordered making Jeremy oblige. 
"Hey, stop fussing, I'm fine." Jenna speaks up rolling her eyes. 
"The doctors said that you have to take it easy." Aurora reminded her mother pointedly. 
"Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, hemorrhage, and die, alright?" Jeremy adds on knowingly. 
"Yeah, the only thing I'm gonna die from is embarrassment." Jenna chimes in sarcastically.
"No," Matt replies a hint of playfulness in his voice. 

"I walked into a knife. How does somebody do that?" Jenna groans out her face reddening slightly. 
"It was a freak accident." Elena reassures her aunt. 
"It happens," Jeremy adds on with a shrug. 
"Yeah, I mean I've done it like twenty times at the Grill." Matt comments in agreement making Jenna laugh but due to the pain she winces. "Okay, I'm being nice." 
"Careful," Aurora urges worried for her mother. 
"Easy, easy." Matt adds on for encouragement as they carefully guide Jenna to the couch. 
"What should I do with this?" Matt questions gesturing to the bag of food in his hands. 
"I got it," Aurora reassured making Matt hand the girl the bag with food causing Aurora to head into the kitchen with Elena as Jeremy follows the two girls. 

"So what are we gonna do?" Jeremy wondered curiously. 
"Make lunch," Aurora replied with a shrug. 
"No, about Katherine." Jeremy recognized 
"We're not gonna do anything, Jeremy." Elena stated sternly. 
"She tried to kill Jenna. We can't let her get away with that." Jeremy pointedly commented 
"Yes, we can. If it keeps us safe, then we can." Elena tries to reason with the boy making Jeremy roll his eyes. 
"And what if she tries something else?" Jeremy questioned.
"She won't. Katherine hurt Jenna because I didn't do what she said. I'm not doing it now, me and Stefan are over. She wins, the end." Elena concluded. 
"You are being naïve, and you know it." Jeremy retorts before turning around and leaving. 

"Where are you going?" Aurora calls out curiously 
"Out. I'll be back." Jeremy replies dully before storming out of the room. 

Shortly later as Aurora finished putting together her mother's lunch, Matt approached her making her smile. 
"Hey, you're welcome to hang out. Alaric's coming over. It's gonna be pizza and bad TV." Aurora offered making Matt smile in response. 
"I'd love to, but I'm going to the masquerade party at the Lockwoods, aren't you?" Matt inquired curiously. 
"I would normally, but with everything going on... I think I'm gonna stay here with my mom. Make sure she's okay." Aurora declared making Matt nod understandingly. 

"That's understandable. Well, maybe I'll see you later." Matt shrugged 
"Yeah, maybe. Thanks for your help today." Aurora spoke with appreciation. 
"Of course, you know I'm always here for you." Matt replied honestly making the two embrace each other in a short hug, then bidding goodbye before Matt makes his exit. Aurora then finishes preparing Jenna's plate and takes it to her mom on the couch. 

"You should go." Jenna states pointedly as she takes the plate as Aurora sits down next to her mom, causing Aurora to furrow her eyebrows. 
"Were you eavesdropping on us?" Aurora questions knowingly. 
"It's my duty as your mother," Jenna states smiling cheekily at her "Seriously, stop fussing over me and go. You were at the hospital day and night; you deserve to have some fun. Besides, I've got Elena and Alaric with me. I'll be alright."
"I can't leave you, not like this. End of the story." Aurora concludes looking at her mother knowingly with a small smile, making Jenna smile in appreciation. Aurora grabs the remote and turns on the TV, carefully leaning into her mother, avoiding any harm. Aurora steals a few bites of Jenna's food, making her swat her hand away jokingly. Aurora grins at this, a brief moment of lightness in the midst of the chaos.