chapter twenty two

Aurora stood outside the car, her sharp vampiric senses picking up every sound around her

Aurora stood outside the car, her sharp vampiric senses picking up every sound around her. She could hear the faint chirping of crickets and the distant rustle of leaves in the gentle breeze. But above all, she focused on the voices emanating from the small, nondescript home in rural Tennessee.

As she listened, the scene unfolded before her like a gruesome play. Before she knew it, Klaus had coerce his way into the woman's home with his usual charm tainted with menace, Aurora's hearing picks up every sob, every plea for mercy. She heard the arrival of Stefan, the chaos escalating with each passing moment. But unusually for Aurora, she doesn't feel anything. No guilt, no remorse, nothing. As Klaus returned to the car, a smirk playing on his lips, Aurora finally spoke up, her voice devoid of any emotion.

"Don't you think that was a bit... unoriginal?" Aurora remarked dryly.
"Oh, don't worry, love," Klaus replied with a small smirk, his tone laced with amusement. "We are just getting started."
"Started with what? What exactly do you need Stefan and I for?" Aurora inquired, her curiosity piqued despite her outward indifference.

"Telling you would spoil all the fun, now wouldn't it?" Klaus retorted cryptically, his gaze locking with hers.
"You know, for hating Katherine so much, you sound a lot like her," Aurora remarked casually, a hint of distaste in her voice. Klaus's expression darkened at the comparison, but he quickly masked it with a composed façade.
"I really don't see why my brother fancies you so much," Klaus countered, his tone dripping with condescension. "You really aren't anything special."

Aurora's smirk widened at his words, enjoying getting under the Hybrid's skin.
"Tell me, what is it about you that could make my noble brother finally open up to a woman such as yourself?" Klaus pressed, his curiosity evident despite his attempt to appear unaffected.
"Telling you would spoil all the fun, now wouldn't it?" Aurora shot back, her tone teasing as she turned away from Klaus, dismissing him with a casual indifference. And as she climbed back into the car, ignoring his presence entirely, Klaus couldn't help but watch her retreating figure with a mixture of irritation and even begrudging admiration. In Aurora, he saw a worthy adversary, a force to be reckoned with. And as he settled into the driver's seat, his mind already plotting the next move, he couldn't shake the feeling that this alliance, however reluctant, might prove to be more intriguing than he initially anticipated.

In the quiet town, nestled deep in the heart of the South, a rustic bar stood as a beacon of dimly lit solace amidst the enveloping darkness of the night. Inside the bar, Ray Sutton, approached the counter, ordering a beer from Red, the bartender. Meanwhile, Klaus, a charming yet menacing figure, sidled up next to Ray with a predatory gleam in his eyes. He spoke with a smooth tone that belied the danger lurking beneath the surface.

"Ray? Ray Sutton?" Klaus inquired, his voice smooth and disarming.
"Who wants to know?" Ray replied cautiously, eyeing Klaus with suspicion.
"I've been looking everywhere for you," Klaus explained, his words dripping with intrigue. "We started in Florida, Pensacola. I met a young chap there who you used to work with before you moved to Memphis, and he directed me to two lovely young women. And they led me here, to you."