Chapter 014

Chapter 014

Arielle Nelson

I walked into class on Monday and I can hear all the girls talking about how close prom was and how they haven't found their dress yet. It came to a shock to me when Jake had asked me to prom. He was right prom was definitely not my scene and I was most likely going to skip it all together. But maybe it can be worth while. Before prom there was going to be the senior field trip. It was a three day trip to Orlando Florida visiting the amusements park located there that was in three weeks. And then prom was in a month in a half and shortly after graduation. The year was coming to an end quite quickly.

Before we know it we will be walking across the stage and getting our diplomas and moving on with our lives. There was going to be the same speeches you hear every year in every friendships no matter the distance they will always keep in contact and remain close friends for things to then slowly drift them away. I had gotten early admissions to Columbia University, New York University, and University of Pennsylvania but got deferred from Yale, and Princeton. I had yet to decide where I really wanted to go and I know time will creep on me and I have to decide soon.

I saw Heather sitting in her usual seat towards the middle of the classroom in the last seat and my empty seat was right next to hers with her bag holding the seat for me. As she saw me approaching she smiled wide and removed her bag allowing me to sit down. "Hey Arielle! How have you been? I feel like it's been a while since we last talked," she said as Mr. Wilson walked into the classroom holding a stack of graded papers and his coffee. "I've been good just keeping busy watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians, doing some work, and helping my mom with somethings around the house. How's everything with you?" I asked her. "Well I'm struggling a bit with calculus so I've been going to the tutoring lessons my mom put me in. I need to do well on the final so I can pass the class. My mom has been putting extra pressure on me and told me if I don't pass this test on Monday no trips for me and no prom. Have you decided about going to prom?" She asked.

Even she knew that I was most likely not going and it will come to a shock for her especially the next few words I was going to say to her. "We should go dress shopping with our moms, like a cute mom and daughter double date" I suggested. She smiled widely and nodded her head rapidly. "I would love that and I think our moms will too."

☻ ☹

Heather and I spoke to our moms to see what days us four can head to the mall and look at prom dresses. They decided Saturday will work best for their schedules. The week went on quite quickly the usual doing homework, watching Netflix, and having dinner dates with Jake and my mom. My mom grew a big liking towards Jake. She never fails to mention happy I seem to be when he's around and sometimes even when he's not around. I appear happier overall.

I'm doing okay

The progress is slow but

I'm getting there

I will reach the finish line

I will get there

Jake has made a positive impact on my life in the short amount of time since I started talking to him. And I hope it continues being that way whether he stays in my life or decides to leave me.

☻ ☹

When Saturday came around I woke up early and cleaned up my room before showering and getting ready. I got dressed in some jean shorts, a white off the shoulder t-shirt, and some sandals that is easy to slip off. I left my hair down and just put some concealer underneath my eyes and quickly set it with some loose powder and used a cream blush on my cheeks to give them some color. I walked out of my room and met with my mom in the kitchen where she was making herself some coffee and some toast. I declined her offer for toast and coffee and just stuck with my oatmeal with fruit. We quickly finished our breakfast before we headed out to the mall.