Interview | Six

Greetings! Today we are here with LadyInLostYearn who is the winner of the contest "Battle Twist" from an event of various challenges, Battle of Clans (Discord). Let's head over to where our interviewer, Ria, has a talk with the winner about their journey.

##
Ria: Interviewer
W: Winner
##

Ria: First of all, congratulations to you for winning the Battle Twist contest. I hope more successes come your way in your writing career.

W: Thank you so much for the kind wishes.

Ria: Let's know something about your writing journey. When did you start?

W: I started writing around 2020. Yep, that's when global pandemic happened and I needed some release.

Ria: Oh, my journey also began around that time. In fact, I'd personally add most of us needed a kind of outlet, and what's better than writing!

I'm assuming, you started writing on Wattpad in 2020, or is it about writing in general?

W: Well... No. I wrote personal posts in a blog first. Then, I wrote fiction in Interactive Fiction platforms. Just last year, I officially joined Wattpad.

Ria: That's interesting, you're also a blogger. What are your other interests apart from writing?

W: Hm 🤔... I draw and paint, make simple graphic designs, play video games, read books, and more. But I could only create though visual arts and they're not polished. Might as well try writing.

Ria: These interests are proving to me right of you being a multi-talented person!

Was there stress upon you regarding writing?

W: Thank you!
And uh, there was. By several stress factors 😂

Ria: Oh, that's relatable being a writer.

Something amusing that I shall ask. Was there anyone else who knew that you were writing on Wattpad? Or was it a secret like some of the Wattpaders keep it?

W: My twin sister only. Other than her, no one irl knows I write on wp.

Ria: That's cool!

As you have won the contest, how did you find out about the "Battle Twist"? And why did you participate in the event? Was there a specific reason for joining?

W: I was representing SG community along with other girls. There were very few who wanted to join when Juls announced the major event in our server... I was like eh, what's the harm? I'll join and help. For Battle Twist itself, I already had the story made before. Just needed editing. Seeing the prompts provided, I saw it as a perfect opportunity to showcase my work.

Ria: Woah! that's a great to know. As you've mentioned here about prompts, which prompts did you choose to write on? There were tropes given to twist and turn to make an interesting short story. Which were the tropes that you chose?

W: Fantasy/ Sci-Fi. 'Creating Monsters By Experimenting. Only that.☺️

Ria: We know the reason for your participation now, the story was interesting to know, other than, why only battle twist? What part of it seemed interesting or challenging to you?

W: Well, yes. It's something fun too, it's not everyday where a writing contest invites you to go wild with stories. I also participated in graphics war but I don't think I won LOL!

Ria: Let's now talk about your reading preferences, what are the genres that you like to read? Are there some favorite tropes in a book that would make you excited to read a book?

W: Romance, Sci-Fi, Horror (especially cosmic horror), Paranormal, aaand popsci. I'm a sucker for friends-to -lovers. Enemies-to-lovers? Hmm... On the fence on that one, but I would've love to read a good one. Oh and Good Guy (opposite of Bad Boy) is my go to.

Ria: Can I, and all the audience, get an overview of the story that you wrote for Battle Twist?

W: A cryptid/immortal human was found by a group of large humanoid viruses and needed for help. Help the viruses against unknown forces.

Now I read it, the first sentence was bizarre enough!

Ria: That's all great to know. What's your process of writing look like? Do you outline or are you a panster? Do you world build? What about the characters?

W: Honestly, the characters and the story come by themselves. But they aren't taking full shapes, so I outline the gaps in between since the devil is in the details.

Ria: Are there any bloggers or YouTube channels that you follow to learn more about writing?

W: I don't really watch writing youtubers or bloggers. But Overly Sarcastic Productions helped me a TON about tropes, clichés etc. I see writing as art, so I watch CJ The X too. He focuses on art as a whole and makes you rethink it several times in existential crisis way.

Ria: What would be your advice to those newbie writers out there who are writing their stories?

W: If you're trying to have a writing career, have a go in catering the audience through trends. But if it's solely pure passion, cliché as it sounds, please don't worry about numbers. And read your works. Again and again. Read other people's works too, especially traditionally published ones. Editing is your annoying best friend.

Ria: What were the most difficult parts (scenes, dialogues, etc.) of writing your story?

W: Descriptions. I write them of course, but not enough for some it seems. I'd like to think I'm getting better with English grammar, to the point I forgotten some of my own native words. But damn it, I can be lost about it sometimes.

Ria: How does your writing space look like?

W: 😂 I don't have fixed space to write since my home has kids running around. And I'm too cheap to buy an actual office desk. So on the bed, on the floor, on the couch, on the dining table etc.

Ria: Sounds chaotic! What apps or software do you use to write your novel?

W: Apps? I mostly use Google Docs. Then Wattpad. Only those two. Notes for outline.

Ria: Thank you, with this I'd like to conclude the interview!✨ It was an interactive session, and so many things we got to know from you. We appreciate the time you gave for the interview. Once again, congratulations, and best wishes for futher endeavors.

W: Thank you so much. I had a good time talking :)