Prologue

I was an adopted child in a very big loving family . My current family always made sure I had everything I needed in life whether it was books of entertainment or whatever that my pumping heart desired .

I was only a few days old when I was first introduced to the prominent Crawford family , well that's what I've been told all my life .Somehow the family had managed to hide my whole identity away from me as a way to protect me but my question was what protection can you give a child other than security . My family kept a lot of things hidden from me , even about who my real parents were .

Growing up I had always thought that my parents had lost their lives in a grim accident or were killed on their way back from work , which would explain why I wasn't with them during the time their lives had slipped off their hands . I used to tell myself that their death was an accident , that they would come visit me in my dreams . As a naive child I used to believe my parents were with me every step of the way . I used to believe in the magical world where every deceased person lives their granted lives without pity . Sadly enough that world wasn't mine to live ,  that world belonged to those who were wrongfully sent to the unknowable .

Every night I would create scenarios in my head of what my mother would look like , a daring but kind woman who respected all living things . A beautiful lady with so much melanin and roughness to her skin that the birds would mistaken it as a bark of a fine tree . Her bouncy raven curls that are exposed to the wind would flow in every direction . She was a beauty and a true goddess in my head .

I liked to imagine my father as the bigger person . His only role was to make sure my mother looked good , in my head our relationship was strained . There was a certain bad feeling in my head that told me he contradicted the beauty of life . He carried a scyth wherever he went , killed every living being standing in their way . He was the devil himself . It's funny how I pictured this evil man as my father .

The only my family told me was that I was found wrapped up in a blanket while clutching to a necklace for dear life . The necklace was believed to have belonged to the person who had abandoned me , the same person who decided that they didn't want responsibilities of a child they had brought to life . The exact same person who left me to die in the chilliness of the night . It still breaks my heart to look at that old rusty necklace . Everytime I touch the jewel it sends electric shocks throughout my entire body like a new profound energy being restored in me . I had stopped touching it completely after I got small blisters on my index finger . I kept it in a box underneath my bed along with my old books from when we were still living in Texas .

The Crawfords told that me that they found me in a wide and narrow alley when they were returning from a vacation in China in a place called Suzhou . It was a cold night and they had stopped for a quick breather when they came across me . The alley was said to be empty and quiet considering the fact that it was during the night and only homeless pests patrolled by . No other life other than me was in the said alley and the Crawfords had no choice but to save me . That was all they had told me and from this day , I'm still clueless as to who I am . Just like the day they found me in the alley , I was always left in the dark .

The sad thing about the family was that they avoided talking about the day they found me , they would just brush me off easily or make up excuses to avoid the topic . All they did was give me vague information about everything . Some of the things they told me didn't even make sense  . I couldn't understand why they would want to hide something like this from me when I deserved to know .

In my family I have 3 older boys who are now free birds away from the nest and my younger twin brothers who fights like they are not blood related . We were 5 boys and being the adopted child had its perks , I was treated like a fragile egg . The fact that I was also clumsy made matters worse for me .They made me feel like I was a threat to myself at all times .