Chapter Sixteen: The Vytal Festival Begins

Beacon was always quiet when night rolled around and students got ready for bed. The shattered moon shone in full tonight, casting its pale light upon the campus grounds as the cool night air blew through the courtyard pleasantly. The silence was then interrupted by the clashing of blades as Silver and Ruby sparred with each other using their combat knives.

Whisper collided with Thorn before both stopped each other's weapons, before Silver kicked Ruby away from him before sidestepping an attack from Yang before landing a punch to her head, causing her to grunt before she retaliated by throwing another punch, enhanced by her Semblance as Silver answered with one of his own, creating a small shockwave, before Silver grabbed her arm and kneed Yang in the stomach before tossing her away from her.

Blake decided to attack then and there, but her surprise attack was countered before Silver sliced Whisper across the Cat Faunus' chest and followed up with a kick to the head, but she vanished as she used her Semblance to avoid the attack. She threw Gambol Shroud in its grapple form at Silver, but he grabbed the weapon and pulled the weapon, pulling Blake towards him and off her feet before he elbowed her in the face and landed a kick to the chest, sending her flying a bit before she crashed into Yang who managed to pick herself up before she and Blake were in a heap.

Silver turned his attention to Weiss, who used her Semblance to summon a pack of Beowolves, prompting Silver to do the same as the opposing summons rushed each other and began tearing each other apart as their summoners battled each other. Weiss' battle style was that of a fencer, elegant and precise, but not very well suited for long battles, and using her Semblance was exhausting. She didn't have Silver's absurd levels of Aura, so she could only summon certain things or use certain glyphs for so long. Silver turned away her weapon, before slipping through her guard and landed a punch to her face, flooring the heiress, before he blocked another attack from Ruby, stopping her next attack by grabbing her arm and placing Whisper against her throat, signifying the end of their match.

"Not bad, you four." He said. "You're all definitely improving. Especially you, Ruby."

"Well, we had a very good teacher." Ruby replied wearing a tired smile.

"I think that's all for tonight. Let's get back to the dorm and get some rest." Silver said. "The Vytal Festival begins tomorrow, and you'll need all the rest you can get for the tournament."

"Are you gonna be back in time for the singles?" Yang asked.

"Honestly?" Silver began. "I don't know. I should hopefully be able to, but I don't know."

"Well, good luck on your mission, Silver." Ruby replied. "We'll let you know how our match goes. Good night."

"'night Ruby." Silver said as his teammates returned to their dorm.

His smile faded after they left as he looked out at Beacon and further out, Vale. His mind wandered to what happened last week. Cinder and her group had been very quiet lately, which concerned Silver, but not as much as Adam's apparent disappearance after the breach was sealed. Silently, he cursed himself for not striking a decisive blow on the Bull Faunus, knowing that he would just come back stronger.

Then his thoughts went to more recent events. Like his talk with Ozpin earlier today. He stood in Ozpin's office with Glynda and Ironwood standing on either side of Ozpin while Silver stood still, his expression unreadable.

"Thank you for coming, Mr. Rose." Ozpin said. "How are your classes going?"

"Port still rattles on about his stories, and Dr. Oobleck apparently drinks liquid crack." Silver replied. "But that's not why you called me here, Professor. And it's not why Professor Goodwitch and General Ironwood are here with us right now either. So what do you need to talk to me about?"