Chapter Twenty-Six: Beginning of the End

Cinder fought fiercely against Ozpin, but she knew she was in for a nearly impossible fight as Ozpin held more combat experience than her by miles. She went for an attack that the headmaster expertly deflected as if he had seen it coming a mile away and responded accordingly with a harsh hit with Long Memory. Their dance continued for some time as the power in the Vault suddenly went out.

Pyrrha was on her way to find Ruby and keep her safe like she had been ordered to do by Ozpin. She knew that Ruby could handle herself, even without her new Maiden powers, but she knew that if Cinder wanted her power, so did Salem. And that was a whole problem on its own.

She was so focused on finding Ruby that she quite literally ran into Jaune, accidentally causing him to avoid being hit by a Beowolf, but he recovered enough that he immediately stabbed it in the head, killing it. He then turned to face Pyrrha, who picked herself up.

"Pyrrha!?" He exclaimed. "Where have you been! I tried to contact you, but-"

"Where's Ruby?" Pyrrha asked hurriedly.

"Last I saw, she was at the head of the defensive line with Weiss." Jaune asked.

Pyrrha was about to head that way, when Jaune grabbed her arm and stopped her. She turned to face her partner and saw that he was confused.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm going to Ruby." Pyrrha replied. "I need to protect her."

"You think she can't protect herself?" Jaune asked, looking slightly miffed at her. "We both know she can take care of herself, Pyrrha. After all... She's the best Huntress out there."

"But there's always someone better!" Pyrrha retorted. "I know Ruby can handle herself, but Cinder is after her because she's the new Fall Maiden! Ozpin gave me explicit orders to protect her!"

"Pyrrha, I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an army of Grimm literally at our doorstep, and a massive Grimm that's spawning more!" Jaune shouted. "Not to mention the White Fang! We need you here, Pyrrha! I need you here... Weiss is with Ruby, so she's well protected."

"But..." Pyrrha began, desperation creeping into her voice before she sighed. "You... You're right. Ozpin is currently fighting Cinder right now in the Vault below Beacon..."

Suddenly, the whole school shook before a ball of fire surged up towards Beacon Tower. Both Pyrrha and Jaune looked on as the horrifying revelation set in. Ozpin was dead, and Cinder had emerged victorious.

"No..." Jaune said in disbelief. "Ozpin..."

Pyrrha steeled her resolve and made her way towards Beacon tower to head Cinder off, but Jaune grabbed her arm again.

"What are you doing!?" Jaune exclaimed.

"To protect Ruby." Pyrrha replied. "If Cinder gets to her and kills her, she'll get her power, and that would be disastrous for everyone."

"But if she beat Ozpin, then what hope could any of us have against her!?" Jaune asked, before his eyes widened. "No... Pyrrha, don't! She'll kill you!"

Pyrrha was silent as she looked at the boy she had trained as their year started, and remembered all of the times they had. From their unorthodox meeting in the Emerald Forest, to their late night training sessions, to Team JNPR's dance during the Vytal ball. She realized that this may be the last time they would see each other, and her last chance to express her feelings for him.