Prologue: Littleshine's POV

Littleshine yawned as she stretched her long legs. Time for a well-earned rest, she sighed and curled up in her nest. She had just delivered Toadstrike's kits, and was tired as a lazy kittypet.  As Littleshine began to drift off, she heard Tallshadow, the deputy of DarkClan and her brother, grumble, "Where is that mouse-brained Icetuft?"

Littleshine found herself in a dream, a gray, patch-furred StarClan warrior with blue eyes approaching her. "Greetings," the warrior meowed, calmly. "I am Patchstar, former leader of DarkClan."

"Why must you speak with me?" Littleshine asked Patchstar. "Is it a prophecy?"

"Yes, a prophecy must be delivered," Patchstar continued, her voice getting low. "A shadow-colored cat will walk out of the night and save the clan in it's final hour, the tallest of shadows will strike the forest and no one can ever be safe."

"Thank you for this prophecy, Patchstar," Littleshine thanked Patchstar. "Now I must go," Patchstar turned and looked back at Littleshine solemnly. "No!" Littleshine yowled. "Don't go!"

"Good bye, keep the prophecy safe, tell no one about your prophecy." Littleshine awoke, stressed at how sudden she had gotten that prophecy. She stood up, stretched, and left her den. 

The first thing that caught her eye was two loners, both brown. The tom was a lighter, wood-like color with amber eyes, and the she-cat was dark brown with bright, moonlight-on-grass colored eyes.

"What are two loners doing in DARKCLAN territory?" Coldstar hissed from the high-peak. The tom spoke up, "I am Bracken, and this is my sister, Bramble. We escaped from a group of cats that needed to kill for survival, and we heard of the Clans and we're asking if we-" Coldstar cut the tom off.

"If you two want to join our Clan, I will have to ask my Deputy and Medicine Cat what we think is best. I will keep you here in the spare den until the decision is made," Coldstar announced. "Emberclaw, Cloverbreeze, show these two to the spare den."

Littleshine and her brother followed Coldstar into his den. "I'm not sure if they should stay," the leader admitted. Tallshadow turned his head towards the entrance to the den, and hissed, "I'm not sure if they should stay either."

"Wait," Littleshine objected. "Before we make the final decision, just think, if we turn them away, that rouge group they escaped from might find them and kill them. And we could always use more cats in this clan."

Coldstar and Tallshadow looked at each other with suspicious glances, and then Coldstar nodded. "You're right," Tallshadow smiled, wincing a bit. "Even though it's more mouths to feed, it's more paws to hunt with."

The cats left the den, and Coldstar took his place on the high-peak, Tallshadow sitting next to him. "We would like to welcome two new cats into our Clan," Coldstar started the meeting, "Bracken and Bramble, please step below the peak."

The loners stepped forward, and Coldstar continued, "You two may not be Clan born, but we welcome you as full warriors of DarkClan. Bracken, from this moment on until the day you die, you will be known as Brackenpelt." Brakenpelt held his head high with pride.

"Bramble, from this moment on until the day you die, you will be known as Bramblethorn. StarClan will welcome you here."

The Clan called out the names of the littermates, and a few of them went to welcome them in. Littleshine yawned and headed back to her den to rest, and then she heard Patchstar's voice in her head.

'Remember, Littleshine, A shadow-colored cat will walk out of the night and save the clan in it's final hour, the tallest of shadows will strike the forest and no one can ever be safe. Do not forget.'