Chapter 11: Darkpaw's POV

It was early in the morning, and Tallshadow was by the medicine den talking with Littleshine for the third time since the Gathering. Darkpaw stretched and left the app den, taking a prey from the fresh-kill pile. However, Tallshadow and Littleshine had finished their daily talk, and the skinny tom was bounding over towards Darkpaw.

     "I didn't say you could eat yet," He snarled. Darkpaw looked back up at him bravely and hissed, "You didn't say I couldn't either." Tallshadow flinched slightly, as if in shock of Darkpaw's boldness. The gray tom turned away and let Darkpaw eat, heading to the warriors den to rest.

     Darkpaw took a thrush from the pile as she turned and saw Graypaw peeking out of the apprentice den suspiciously. "Oh, Darkpaw!" the tom chirped, "Why are you awake so early in the morning?"

   "I could ask the same for you," Purred Darkpaw, trying not to sound suspicious. "I woke up, and I was hungry, so I went to get something to eat." Graypaw nodded and said, "I've woken up really early a lot of times since we became apprentices."

Darkpaw smiled at her brother. They hadn't spoken in a while, and it felt wrong ignoring her own kin. "Have you noticed Icetuft hasn't been paying much attention to Toadstrike recently?" Graypaw tilted his head. "Yeah," Darkpaw admitted, tucking her tail over her paws.

"They act like they never spoke to each other ever," Graypaw growled. "They used to love each other," Darkpaw looked over shoulder to see Icetuft facing away from Toadstrike, who was lying awake.

"Well, I got to go," Graypaw smiled. "Streamwing told me to meet them at the RiverRocks." Graypaw walked away, and Darkpaw brought her tail over her paws and remembered what it was like when they were kits. They would always stay up late talking about something ridiculous.

Darkpaw snapped back to reality when she heard Tallshadow hissing her name. She dragged herself over to Tallshadow and said, "What?" as awake as she could manage. The tom growled, "Coldstar needs you in his den."

Darkpaw nodded and headed over to Coldstar's den. It was large, with a small opening in the ceiling. "Darkpaw, you're here!" The leader lifted his head. "You needed to speak with me?" Darkpaw asked. Coldstar nodded, "Tallshadow has been having a headache for a while now, so I will be your temporary, maybe even permanent, mentor."

Relief flooded through Darkpaw. This meant that she wouldn't have to come back to camp bearing more then just a torn ear. "That's great!" Darkpaw purred. "Tallshadow has just been really, well, angry with me. I don't know why, but he just treats me like I am uncappable of learning..."

Coldstar dipped his head in agreement. "I spoke with him, and he said that he was always tired and in pain in some ways," the leader looked past Darkpaw, looking at the leader's cave opening. It was just then that Darkpaw realized how big the cave really was.

There was a small pool in it that reflected the light onto the ceiling, creating a glowing pattern. "That is all," he finished. "You may go."

Darkpaw nodded to the wise cat as she turned away and headed out of the leader's den. It was slightly brighter outside, and the she-cat realized that she probably spent about half a patrol-length talking to Coldstar.

"Darkpaw?" Tallshadow crept up behind her. "You will join Emberclaw, Wind, and  Cloverbreeze on their patrol." Darkpaw nodded to her old mentor and spotted her patrol members sitting by the camp entrance.

Emberclaw was glaring at her, but he was always glaring at someone. Wind was a strong cat, but she was kind, and her sister, Cloverbreeze, was not much different. They were smiling at Darkpaw.

She bounded up to the cats, and Wind nodded to her. "Lets head off," She nodded. Emberclaw stood up, still staring at Darkpaw. Darkpaw stared at the ginger tom back, and he just blinked and said, "First patrol?"

"Yeah," The young she-cat nodded, trying not to seem to enthusiastic. "Well keep your guard up," Emberclaw hissed in a cold, frost-bitten tone, "And don't trust anyone who seems nice." Despite his name, the ginger tom seemed quite cunning and cold. The patrol padded in silence for a few minutes, then Cloverbreeze chimed, "I hear something."

Then, silence fell over the forest, and the only hearable sound was a faint rustling, and a fox flew out of the bushes, charging straight at Darkpaw.

It grabbed her by the neck, throwing her into a tree. The next thing she knew, everything went black.

Author's note: I didn't really have many ideas for this chapter of Prophecy, but I wanted there to be a fox at some point in the series (because I'm just like that). I think this book is half way done now! Please stay tuned for more!