Chapter 5: Shadepaw's POV

Shadepaw lay in her nest with a fluttering feeling in her stomach. Usually she has this feeling when she'd been thinking of Darkpaw, and, of course, she was. 'Is Darkpaw going to be okay?' She thought with worry.

     'It's just a torn ear, what's the worst that could happen?', but just then, Shadepaw heard a deafening screech come from the entrance of the medicine den. She then heard Tallshadow's gruff mew say, "Your going to be okay."

     'What's going on?' Shadepaw leapt from her nest, the fluttering feeling leaving her. Littleshine was there, taking a gray she-cat to a nest closest to the entrance and the she-cat crumbled into it. "What's happening?" Shadepaw asked in panic. "Rockypelt is having Tallshadow's kits of course," Littleshine purred. "Why didn't you tell me she was having kits!?" Shadepaw exclaimed. "You are not ready yet," Littleshine have her an apologetic blink and turned back to Rockypelt. 'She doesn't trust me?' Shadepaw thought with a mix of anger and disappointment.

     She could have trusted her, but she didn't. "Darkpaw," Littleshine glanced at the dark gray she-cat. "You are free to go."

      "I'll go to," Shadepaw offered. As the two left, Tallshadow shot a glare at Shadepaw and Darkpaw. "I have a bad feeling Tallshadow is up to no good," Shadepaw shuddered. "Yeah," Darkpaw turned her gaze to Brakenpelt,  who was talking to Shadowwing, Shadepaw's father. "Why do you keep looking at break-up Brakenpelt?" Shadepaw felt annoyed. "No reason," Darkpaw flicked her eyes back to Shadepaw. "How's training going?" Darkpaw asked, changing the subject. "Littleshine hasn't taught me much, only one thing," Shadepaw explained. "Chervil, helps with bellyaches and infected wounds. Also helps queens give birth to their kits."

     Darkpaw's eyes were wide. 'She's impressed,' Shadepaw observed. "Your lucky to have a mentor like Littleshine," Darkpaw commented. "Tallshadow snapped at me for not knowing how to kill."

     'Is he really that bad?' Shadepaw asked herself. "Shadepaw," Littleshine called out from her den. "Come here."

      Shadepaw padded to the medicine den and saw two beautiful kits laying by Rockypelt's side. "Their names are Thornkit," Rockypelt flicked her tail at a brown tabby, then to a blue gray and white she-kit. "And this is Starkit."

     "Aren't they perfect?" Tallshadow asked lovingly. "Of course they are," replied Rockypelt. "They are yours."

     Littleshine stood up, the kind gaze leaving her eyes, and said, "We should get them to the nursery."

     She picked up one of the kits and let Rockypelt lean against her. Shadepaw took one of the other kits, Starkit, and walked off to the nursery. Tallshadow's eyes were filled with pride as they neared the nursery.

     "Get some rest," Littleshine instructed Rockypelt. "I'll fetch you some borage."

     Littleshine padded off, and Shadepaw tailed her. 'Wonder if there is anything I can do," Shadepaw wondered. Darkpaw caught her eye, and the fluttering feeling returned once again. Shadepaw shook the feeling away and continued to her den. Littleshine emerged, her mouth full of a blue-ish flower. "Borage is for supplying a nursing queen's milk supply," Instructed Littleshine.  "New queens need lots of it, or else they won't be able to feed they're kits."

      "How about I take that to Rockypelt, and you go find more," Shadepaw suggested. "I'll tell you where to find it," Littleshine smiled without acknowledging her idea. "You can find it all throughout BorderClan's border, but take a warrior escort with you."

     "I'll do it," A voice sounded behind Shadepaw. "I have nothing to do, no apprentice duties today."

    "Okay then," Littleshine purred. "Winterpaw, you may be Shadepaw's escort."

     Shadepaw turned around to see a bright white tom with green eyes that seemed like he had no pupils. 'Is he?' Shadepaw thought in panic. "Yeah, I'm blind," Winterpaw laughed admittedly. "But that  won't stop me from being the best warrior in DarkClan"

     "Okay, let's go," Shadepaw smiled at him. They headed out of camp, then Winterpaw signaled with his tail, "The border to BorderClan is this way."

     They padded through the forest silently, then Winterpaw pricked his ears. "A BorderClan cat is training on our territory," he hissed. "Get into a stalking position."

     Shadepaw dropped to the ground and Winterpaw charged forward. Shadepaw heard yowling of pain. 'That better not be Winterpaw's yowling,' Shadepaw stalked a little closer. Winterpaw was clawing the cat like it was a tree to sharpen your claws on.

The enemy ran back to BorderClan and Winterpaw hissed, "Don't come back, or your going to regret it."

     Shadepaw stood up and a blueish plant caught her eye. "I take it that's borage," Winterpaw flicked his tail toward the plant. "Yep, that's the one," Shadepaw replied awkwardly. 'I love being a medicine cat,' Shadepaw thought in awe of Winterpaw's battle moves. "Let's head back," Winterpaw panted. "Littleshine is going to need this."