Chapter 2 - Dungeons and Dungeons

Chapter 2 – Dungeons and Dungeons

You know, despite being trapped in the world of one of the cruelest RPGs out there, I'm glad I'm not trapped in a horror movie. What I mean by this?

Well, my flashlight lit the path in front of me, it wasn't like in a movie where a group of idiot teenagers breaks into a haunted house and the only source of light they brought was cheap flashlights from the corner store.

I moved my arm from left to right, illuminating the area around me, I saw mold, fungus, mushrooms, ruins, boxes and barrels of rotten wood, plants, bloodstains, mangled corpses. I was in the basement of the dungeon, so I had better start collecting items that I will probably use in the future.

On the way I found some mushrooms and herbs growing between the wall blocks and floor tiles, I got a green, red and blue herb, the classic ones from a certain zombie game franchise; I kept them all in my backpack.

On my way, I passed the four pillars with the symbol drawn in blood on the floor.

"You seem strangely calm." Kitab spoke.

"Don't confuse my calm with naivety, I know the risk I'm taking, I know the dangers of this dungeon. I already had my panic attack on the stairs; I don't need another one in here where the monsters walk around."

As if fate had heard my words, a monster came out of a dark corridor ahead and floated towards me, a Maneba, an initial enemy, if I remember correctly they can communicate through telepathy, they are probably related to the God Rher, God of the Moon and Madness, and they are not exactly evil, they act more out of the need to feed.

"A monster stands in your way; let us see if your words are true."

Hm... Trying to talk won't do me any good, I took a quick look around, there was nothing I could use as a weapon and the corridor was too narrow to go around the monster.

Well, time to find out if Kitab's spells work.

"Hey Kitab! How do I use your spells?"

The Maneba advanced, swinging one of its tentacles towards my head; I ducked and took a few steps back. Why am I surprised? This is not a game! It's obvious the monsters won't wait for my turn!

I got up quickly and took a step to the left, dodging a tentacle that tried to hit me on top of the head.

"Just feel the magic in your body. Visualize the cosmic power of the universe. Contemplate the void and its infinite dimensions. So unleash the power given to you by the Old Ones."

"You think I'm some kind of wizard?!? I'm not an anime protagonist who masters a new power in five seconds! Give me something I can use!" I dodged the blow of another tentacle.

"Alternatively, you could just say the name of the spell."

"Seriously?!? So there you go! Glimmer of Truth!"

I felt pressure in my head, followed by a little pain, the spells in Fear and Hunger use mind, that's the game's MP, which I felt must have been the equivalent of my mind being drained.

Kitab trembled in my hand, an unknown force flipped the pages of the book, green smoke came out of the pages of the book and enveloped Maneba's head, the monster was still for a few seconds, before shaking its head and attacking me again.

"Didn't work!"

"Not my fault. You are the one who leads me in fights; the blame for using an ineffective attack is yours. You must know your enemy to face him in the best possible way."