Chapter 9 - Trying Not to Die

Taking a step forward, I placed myself between D'arce and Rag; I opened both arms, keeping them both apart. Therefore, without much choice, I said nonsense after nonsense, trying to convince everyone here not to kill each other in vain.

"Seriously?!? Are you really going to fight at a time like this?!? After all the trouble we had to get here, you will turn on each other because of one person?!?" I exclaimed to everyone.

"Listen, I don't know if you noticed, but that mountain of muscle over there is killing my gold mine!" Cahara replied, pointing his scimitar at Rag.

"And he will kill you too, if you don't put down that sword!" I spoke back.

"Please get out of the way, I don't want to hurt you, but I can't allow Le'garde to be killed!" D'arce shouted, pointing her trembling sword towards me.

"D'arce, do you have the slightest idea what Le'garde did to end up here?!?"

"If you're talking about the failed revolt..."

"Before that!" I shouted, interrupting D'arce.

"N-no, what are you talking about?" D'arce said nervously, looking away.

"Don't act like a fool; you know what I'm talking about. Before the failed revolt, Le'garde led an attack on the Kingdom of Oldegard, massacring everyone in sight, this aggressive act generated distrust in the Kingdom of Rondor towards Le'garde, which was one of the reasons that made it easier for him be locked up here."

"That... That's not..." D'arce muttered.

"If you know what this man did, why are you trying to stop me?" Rag spoke, still squeezing Le'garde's neck, but not enough to kill him.

I saw Le'garde staring at me; the mercenary's face was turning from red to blue, with tears coming out of the corners of his eyes. I looked away with an irritated growl; I'm not doing this for you.

"Honestly, I don't care if you kill Le'garde, I have no relationship with this man, and he is a total stranger to me..."

I realized that D'arce and Cahara were about to protest, but I continued with my argument.

"...But I don't know if you noticed, but we are in the depths of a dungeon full of monsters never seen before! Each of us ended up here by traversing the floors in some way, which means there are hordes of monsters above, below, and all around us! So I have a question for all of you, after you kill each other, break your bones and dismember yourselves, how do you plan to get back to the surface?!? Do you really want to be stuck here until you die or become some monster's toy?!?"

"T-toy?!?" D'arce asked as Cahara swallowed and looked away.

"Oh! Believe me, death will be a mercy compared to what the monsters will do to you if they catch you! Do you want me to go into detail?!?"

"If you're so uncomfortable with us fighting here and now, what do you suggest we do? You want me to let this bastard go after everything he's done!" Rag exclaimed through gritted teeth, his scream echoing through the cell as he gave Le'garde's neck a tight grip, making the knight choke.

"No, as I said before, I don't care about Le'garde, I'm no judge, jury and executioner, and I can't decide his fate! What I'm suggesting is that you stop your disagreements until you leave the dungeon! What about this? We tie up Le'garde, take him out of the dungeon and you decide what to do next, because I don't care, I just want to get out of here, and I don't know if you noticed, but I have a child with me! Do you really want to leave a child in a place like this?!? A little help getting her out of here would be appreciated! Five minutes ago I was almost going crazy, but it seems that in the end, I'm the only sane here!"