Chapter 3 - A Small Light in the Darkness

Going down a flight of stairs, I entered the prison, I stopped at the end of the hall with my back against the wall, poking my head out of my cover, and surveyed the area ahead.

I spotted the rusty metal walkways, painted red with the blood of the prisoners, further on I saw the gigantic statues of lizard men adorning the walls, there didn't seem to be any guards, good.

Taking a deep breath, I left my hiding spot and followed the only possible path. I made a point of searching everything I found ahead, pieces of cloth, moldy bread, sticks, and I just needed something to light the torch.

My steps echoed through the metallic floor, which made me worried. I could attract a guard by accident, approaching one of the edges of the walkway. I tried to illuminate the abyss that was just below, but I couldn't see the bottom.

It's a long fall, better not risk it, I doubt the rusty bars will endure my weight. I continued walking down the dimly lit corridor, I pointed the light of my cell phone at the cells in search of something useful, and my hands could slip between the bars.

"Hey! You!"

"AAHH..." I immediately covered my mouth, I looked around, searching for guards, when none appeared, I calmed down a little, and I almost fainted with fear.

"Hey! I'm talking with you!" The voice screamed again.

I put my finger on my lips and let out a hiss.

"SSSSHHHHH!"

The hiss echoed through the dark prison, but it served to silence the voice.

"Sorry. Look over there." The voice came back, only quieter.

Turning towards the general direction of the voice, I saw something moving in the darkness, approaching slowly, with my hand close to the dagger, I took careful steps towards the moving thing.

I crossed part of the catwalk suspended over the abyss, passed an empty cell and had a better view of the source of the voice. It was a man, he was waving at me, his arm passing through the prison bars.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to find another human being. Can you help me?" The man spoke.

I approached the cell, but keeping out of the man's reach, I stopped in front of the cell and pointed my cell phone at the prisoner.

"Hey! What is this thing?" The man exclaimed while shielding his eyes from my cell phone light.

My breath stopped and I swallowed hard when I saw the person trapped in the cell, Cahara, the mercenary who entered the dungeon in search of Le'garde due to the generous reward.

"Can you please get that annoying thing off my face?" Cahara exclaimed.

"Oh! Sorry about that!" I put the cell phone in my pocket.

"Thanks. What was that thing anyway?" Cahara asked.

"A magic item that lights my way."

"Hm... Interesting." Cahara muttered, smiling with a hand on his chin.

We barely know each other and he's already thinking about stealing my cell phone. If I get him out of prison, I'll have to hide my stuff first.

"But putting that aside. Could you get me out of here? That bastard of a guard trapped me here... You didn't meet one of them on your way here, did you?" Cahara asked nervously, looking away.

"No." I answered awkwardly, knowing well what had happened to Cahara.

"Perfect, then, how about opening that cell?" Cahara smiled as he leaned against the bars.