Chapter 11 - Towards the Depths

The Cave Mother squealed audibly, calling her children's into combat. Several Cave Gnomes came out of the darkness surrounding us and flew around their mother.

Then, with a shake of her head, the Cave Mother ordered her cubs to attack, and they did. With a series of high-pitched squeaks, the small winged creatures dove towards us.

"Don't let thossse thingsss bite you, they can caussse infeccction!" I shouted to my group.

The Girl and Moonless responded with a wave and a bark, respectively. With that out of the way, we focused on the approaching monsters.

"Iron Ssshakessspeare! Get rrrid of the sssmallerrr onesss! Girrrl! Ssstay ccclossse to me!" I ordered, forming a plan in my mind.

Without saying a single word, Iron Shakespeare charged toward the Cave Gnomes, swinging his flaming fists, burning and crushing some of the creatures.

The rest retreated with frightened squeals, and flew around the Iron Shakespeare like a cloud of bats.

Simultaneously, I put my plan into action. The Cave Mother flew above us; I just needed a way to bring her down.

Pointing Kitab at the great winged monster, I cast Glimpse of Truth. Kitab's pages flipped quickly, releasing green smoke that enveloped the cave mother's head.

The Cave Mother flailed frantically, screeching in panic. Her erratic flight caused her to crash into the cave walls, ceiling, and stone pillars with enough strength to leave yellow bloodstains on the rock.

With a final scream, the cave mother fell with an audible thud a few meters away from us.

"Moonlesss! Go get it, girrrl!" I shouted at the wolf while pointing at the injured monster on the ground.

"WOOF!"

With a bark, Moonless quickly advanced toward the injured and confused Cave Mother. The monster tried to use its wings to get up, but before it could do so, Moonless jumped up with its fangs bared and bit the Cave Mother's neck.

Blood gushed from the wound and flowed towards the ground, the Cave Mother screamed in agony as she thrashed, trying to throw Moonless away. This only happened because Moonless decided to release the Cave Mother.

Moonless landed safely on the ground a few meters away from the Cave Mother. The wolf growled defiantly at the monster in front of it.

Hm... We had a good start. Iron Shakespeare kept the Cave Gnomes busy, the creatures' teeth were unable to pierce the armor, and I doubt Iron Shakespeare would be infected since he is undead.

Shifting my attention to the Cave Mother, I saw the monster flapping its wings, trying to take off, but I didn't allow it. I cast Glimpse of Truth again, generating a similar reaction to the previous one.

"Moonlesss, attaccck the leffft wing!" I ordered again.

"WOOF!"

Moonless advanced again. Like a dark blur, the wolf closed the distance between the Cave Mother and itself, and with a powerful leap, bit the Cave Mother's left wing.

The Cave Mother screamed, but it did nothing to remove Moonless. Well... I think it's time to do my part.

"Ssstay here girrrl." I said to the Girl next to me.

With Shark Teeth in my hand, I rushed towards the Cave Mother and quickly slashed her right wing repeatedly. Shark Teeth slid through the flesh with ease, tearing the skin and shooting jets of blood away.