Chapter 7 - Boon or Bane

Ares immediately regained his composure as this could be both good or bad news. If the creatures had more intelligence than Merlins, it would only mean doom to them, if not immediately then it would happen eventually. He knew if he voiced his concerns, every smile around him would drop.

He got up and everyone around him was confused. He ordered to get all the force possible to keep a watch on that planet and start preparing for a possible planetary departure. The immediate concern was whether the other planet knew if Merlin existed.

It would take months and since all they could do from this far was just watch.

Time flew fast on both planets, though the speed was different.

Merlins camped out on a suitable planet with plenty of resources, secretly gathering information. They wore special suits that protected them from the harsh environment and camouflaged them from the alien eyes. They observed the planet's culture, technology, and language, trying to find any weaknesses or opportunities. They saw that the aliens had advanced machines that could fly, communicate, and create. They also had a complex social structure, with different groups and factions competing for power and resources. They spoke a variety of languages, some of which were similar to the Merlins' own. They flew back to make the report to the Captain, who was eagerly waiting for their findings. He wanted to know if the aliens were a threat or an ally.

Ares with a few other research team members arrived at the king's throne room with the report. Ryan, who sat on the other end looked like a younger version of himself, working on some papers, his brow furrowed and his eyes tired. Ares said "Looks like all this work took a toll on you", startled Ryan raised his head looked at who it was, and smiled replying, "Hello to you too, brother."