3- Slipping Away

Vidya's heart raced as she descended the steps, the anticipation building with each stride. As she reached his side, her trembling hands cradled his lifeless body, her fingers tracing the contours of his face. A torrent of emotions flooded her soul as tears streamed down her cheeks, blending with the overwhelming love and longing she held for the child she considered her own.

Vidya's sobs echoed through the stillness, her voice a mixture of desperation and disbelief. She clung to him, hugging him tightly to her chest, she showered him with kisses all over his face, she smiled in happiness but the realization slowly sank in-Ansh remained motionless, a delicate figure in her embrace.

Caressing his face with trembling hands, Vidya called out his name, her voice choked with emotion - "Anshuu."

Amidst her tears, Vidya pleaded with Ansh, her voice filled with desperation -"Anshu bacha aankhein khol, kya hogaya hai tujhe?"But Ansh remained lifeless in her arms, unmoved by her pleas.

Her tears continued to cascade down, wetting his face, as she implored him further -Please aankhein khol bacha, i can't lose you when i have just found you, please tu sun raha hai na anshu, bacha dekh na meri taraf"

Yet, her every plea fell on deaf ears, as if Ansh resided in a serene world, unwilling to return.

Surrounded by concerned onlookers, one person approached Vidya and checked Ansh's pulse. Concerned, he turned to her - "dekhiye bache ki haalat kaafi naazuk hai, hospital le jana hoga"Vidya was taken aback, shock etched across her face, her tears refusing to cease.

The stranger reassured her -"himmat rakhiye bache ko kuxh nahi hoga, aaiye main aapki madat kardeta hun." With care, he picked up Ansh and headed towards his car. Vidya followed, grateful for his help.

The journey to the hospital weighed heavily on Vidya's heart. She desperately tried to revive Ansh along the way, but he remained unresponsive, as if lost in a world beyond her reach.

Upon arrival, they swiftly placed Ansh on a stretcher and rushed him inside. The doctor on duty examined him, his face growing tense as he checked Ansh's pulse.

Vidya, her voice trembling with tears, addressed the doctor -"doctor, woh theek toh hojayega na?"

The doctor met her gaze, his expression grave, "His condition appears critical, but I will do everything in my power." Vidya's heart sank, and that's when the stranger approached her.

The stranger gently said, "Please inform your family members." Vidya, with trembling hands, dialed Akaansh's number.

Akaansh answered anxiously -"vidya, kahan ho tum? Kab se phone laga raha hun utha kyun nahi rahi thi?"

Vidya, her voice choked with emotion, whispered, "Akaansh..."

Akaansh's voice filled with concern, -"vidya kya hua? Tum ro kyun rahi ho?"

Vidya struggled to control her tears -"Aap please jaldi se city hospital aajaiye"

Akaansh's face turned pale, "Hospital? Kyun, tum theek ho na vidya?" Vidya's body shook with sobs, and the world around her seemed to spin. She was on the verge of collapsing, but the stranger quickly caught her, helping her sit down. He took the phone from her trembling hand and spoke into it, "Please come to the hospital. Aapki wife yahan ek bache ko leke aayi hain, unki condition theek nahi hai, aap jaldi aajaiye" The stranger ended the call and offered Vidya a glass of water.

Avinaash, who had returned to the hospital after running an errand, spotted Vidya in uncontrollable tears, being comforted by a stranger. Concern flooded his face as he hurried to her side.

Avinaash, tense and worried, said, "Bhabhi..." Vidya looked up and embraced him tightly.

Amidst her sobs, Vidya managed to utter, "Avi..." Avinaash's heart ached witnessing her state. Why was she crying? And why was she at the hospital?