Welcome Back

Hayley's POV:

A few weeks after signing my new contract and the start of a new season was announced, we were allowed to go back to training together, although it looked a little different. The first day back we train at the academy facilities to ensure that we can keep a safe distance from each other as well as the men's team. We have to have COVID tests done before going into the changing rooms and the team meeting is in the indoor gym to stay a meter apart. It was strange but we also knew it was what we had to do to be able to start the season.

After all the start of the season meetings we head to the field to start. We have about a month and a half before the first game so our training is based on pre-season, which involves a lot of fitness and strength testing. It's my first pre-season training and it's definitely hard. Even though I'm a goal keeper that doesn't need to run the length of the pitch I still have to do the bleep test and other testing like everyone else.

"Damn chick, lockdown blessed you with fitness," Katie jokes as we stretch out after the first session of the season.

"Having to train with outfield players had its perks," I explain.

After all the testing we can finally get some time on the field with ball in hand. We do our normal warm-up then get into a light training before building up to finishing with the team at the end.

I save all but two shots making me feel like my training over lockdown really did pay off. I get changed, have some lunch and then go to my meeting with Seb. I knock on his door before entering. "Hey Hayley," he says, motioning for me to take a seat. "How you feeling after today?"

"I feel good. I think the lockdown really helped with my game. I feel fit and healthy. Ready to go," I explain.

"Well you look and sound confident. Something that is different from last season. You were finding that by the end but you look like you have a whole new energy which is good to see," he says with a smile.

"Thank you," I say.

After looking through film from last year and from the drills today, Seb pointing out what I have improved and what I still need to work on, he closes the laptop. "At the rate you are going with your development, I think you will be our number one goal keeper for this season," he says.

"What," I question, startled.

"Hayley, you were all ready an amazing player, naturally gifted, you just needed more knowledge of the game to build confidence. You've found that, you're enjoying yourself and you looked like a world class goalkeeper out there today. I have no doubt that you are going to do great things this season," he explains.

With Seb's words in the back of my mind I train for the next month, taking in every bit of information I can, even listening to the critiques that are aimed at Manu. As I get better and better, my love for the game grows and I find myself feeling more joy every ball I save. I find my own style of play, where I find a good mood makes for good play, and everyone in the team is noticing.

The first game of the season rolls around at home against Reading. With COVID still effecting the country we play behind closed doors with only team members and staff being allowed within the grounds. It's my first game at Meadow Park and after being announced that I would be the number one pick for keeper I'm excited to get going.

After a good warm up we are walking out to start the game. Only a few minutes in and Reading have the ball and attempt a shot from just outside the box which is blocked before it has time to get to me. The ball is cleared and I can breathe easy again. Already I can tell that I will have more to do this game than I did during my debut.

At around the 10-minute mark I have to make my first save of the game. The ball comes in from a free kick and is headed straight towards me so I can easily grab hold of it. I don't have too much to do for a long while, just watching the girls go 3-0 up with some brilliant goals. Just before half time Reading are bring the ball back down the field and one of their players attempts another shot but again the ball is cleared just as the referee blows the whistle to end the half.

Getting back on the field after half time, Reading come out with a bit more fire. Again a few minutes into the half they get a good shot off, which I am forced to save. After clearing the ball away it is coming straight back down to my end but is played too high and glides over the top of the goal with no help. As the team try to play out from the back, the ball is stolen and once again the ball is fired towards the goal. I dive to my left, following the ball, but I don't even need to tip it for it to be sent out the back.

Jill scores another goal for us and we make some subs, being up 4-0. We have a good run of attempts as Reading struggle to clear their line which pays off in another goal and then one more off a free kick.

With the game coming to an end Reading have a few more chances but none of which are successful, the last one the closest after I tip the ball into the post before the it is cleared. The ref blows the whistle for full time, us winning 6-0.

As we offer congratulations to one another I feel a body jump on my back, knowing there is only one person it will be. "Good game Jordy," I say grabbing hold of her legs.

"Thanks. Always nice to get an assist I guess," she says swinging her legs. "You didn't miss a beat."

"Bit harder than my last game that's for sure," I joke, remembering back to my first game where I didn't have much to do.

"You were great though," she says hopping down. "You really are proving yourself."

I give her a smile as we huddle up as a team. I feel my confidence grow further as the team get excited for the season to come, knowing I made the right decision to stay.