chapter four

I turn my head slightly, trying to get a better look

I turn my head slightly, trying to get a better look. "You know what it looks like." I hear June say.

My mouth opens partially as I stare at her painting. I blink and tilt my head to try to figure out what my best friend has painted. It looked like a 5-year-old got into paint.

The background was blue and had two white blotches at the top and then a long pink thing. "A penis?" My voice is filled with confusion as I stare at her canvas.

I turned, looking over at June. She gaped in shock. She rapidly blinked at me, like she wasn't expecting my answer.

I gave her a nervous smile, wondering if I needed to run just in case a flying arm came my way.

But instead, she turns back to the painting, leaning down to take a better look at it. "I tried to make a pink flamingo." I burst into laughter.

How the hell? "Where are its legs?" I say it between laughs. June looks over her shoulder as she whispers. "I forgot." I snicker and shake my head.

Moving back to my desk to make my final details on the art project I just painted some cherries. It was pretty basic, but I'm not the best at painting. Or any form of art for that matter.

"Miss Bell." I hear the art teacher say it with a gasp. I look in the direction of my best friend to see the teacher looking over June's shoulder.

June had her eyes squeezed shut, like it was supposed to make her disappear or something.

"Miss Zane, it's not what it looks like." June pinched the bridge of her nose and let out a sigh. The art teacher shook her head and turned to go back to her own desk.

"I don't even want to hear it. I want to see you after class." June rolled her eyes at the woman and just stopped all together.

Not even five minutes went by until the bell rang. I let out a sigh and grabbed my things, making sure not to leave anything, but I was more like trying to take my time so I didn't have to walk to lunch alone.

But the teacher did not say anything to June until I started walking out of her class.

Walking down the hallway, trying not to bump into anyone because, for some fucked-up reason, they act like you did it on purpose or some shit.

It's stupid, if you ask me. There is no need to be rude if they say sorry, like, Damn, did your mom not teach you manners?

Deciding to just wait outside of the class, hoping that Miss Zane doesn't just take her sweet time blabbing about how it's important not to paint a penis.

But it is art class, and there are artists that literally draw people nude, but I don't think Miss Zane really knows that much about art, let alone being able to teach it.

I head over to my locker, which is right across the art room, and put in my dumb 4-digit code.

Once the lock popped open, I put my things away. As I go to close my locker, I hear a familiar voice that causes me to freeze.