chapter nine

Song: drowning by Vague003

I was leaning across the kitchen counter as June sat at the kitchen table. My heart was pumping in my chest.

How do I even start? I bit the inside of my cheek so hard that I thought it might bleed. "Jesus, Ella, what is it?" June asked worriedly. Her brows drew together as she leaned forward just a bit.

Just say it. I say to myself. "June—" She cuts me off, her voice a bit too high. "Yes?" I let out a deep breath.

Just say it.

"Flora is cheating on you." My words rushed out so fast that I wasn't sure if she could even understand them, but by the look on her face, she did.

Her brows together and her mouth in a tight line. She doesn't say anything as she gets up, grabbing her bag. "June?" I call out, but she begins to leave.

Pushing off of the counter and grabbing her forearm. "Where are you going?" June's light blue eyes searched mine before ripping her arm out of my hold. "I'm leaving." She snapped; her voice could slice through mettle.

Taken aback at her tone. "What-" She cuts me off as she takes a step forward, causing me to stumble back just a bit.

In all the years of being friends with June, she has never looked at me the way she is right now.

"I'm not going to sit here and listen to your lies, Ella." I was shocked. I stare at her, confused.

How was I a liar? Is she just that fucking blind?

"Why would I be lying?" June shrugs and has a look of disgust on her face. "I don't know. Maybe because you're jealous." When I went to speak to defend myself, she was already speaking again.

"Maybe because you're fucking jealous that you haven't even been in a relationship. Or maybe because you want fucking attention. I would never have thought my best friend would try to fuck up my relationship." I stare at her.

I couldn't believe my own best friend was say this to me. How could she stand there and think that I was lying? I scoff at her words. The words that sent a dagger into my chest

"Are you fucking stupid?" I watch her jaw drop for a moment before she clamps it shut again. "Are you that fucking blind that you would even think your best friend was lying to you? June, tell me one time I have ever lied to you." June stayed silent.

It was true. I never lied to her, not even once. We were the kind of best friends who were so honest that it sometimes hurt. "See." I point out.

"Flora would never do that." June shook her head. Why is she so fucking blind? Flora is a toxic piece of shit. "But she is, and she did." I said, my tone was serious maybe even a bit hurtful.

June stared at me for a moment as if she were trying to think. "She didn't. And I don't have room for liars in my life, Ella, and I thought you would be the first person to know that." I grab her wrist again, trying to stop her from leaving.