charpter fourteen

I pop a piece of strawberry into my mouth as I use my free hand to write down what I want to go over with River

I glance up for a moment at mom. Her black hair was in a messy ponytail. She looked like she just got out of the shop.

"Hey mama." I greet, looking back down, and begin reading and taking notes. "How's June? She hasn't been over in a while." I pause midway through highlighting to look up at my mother.

I bite the inside of my lips as I try to decide what to do. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Shes... We aren't friends." I whisper. Mom's brow shut up in surprise.

June was like another kid to Mom. June was over all the time. Like 8 days out of the week. It was like she lived here.

"What happened?" She walked around the counter to stand closer to me. My eyes began to burn at the memory of that night.

"I'm an idiot." I cover my face with my hands. It was if I needed to hide from my mom. "You're not an idiot." Mom's comforting voice fills my ears.

I spill everything on her as I cry. She does not say anything; she just listens. She will occasionally nod her head or hum.

I loved that about her. She never tried to interrupt me, try to tell me what I needed to do, or tell me how I should feel.

"It's okay, honey." She says this as she pulls me to her, hugging me. "She'll realize one day and come back." She tries to reassure me, but it doesn't help much.

"What if she doesn't?" I pull back to look at her. She gave me a sad smile. Mom brushed away my tears as she spoke softly.

"Then it's for the best, Ella. People come and people go." I knew she was right. She was always right.

"Now, how about you help me cook?" Mom said, pulling back. I nod my head. She drops her hands from my food and gives me a kiss on the head before walking to the fridge.

Maybe I just need to stop thinking about her. When June realizes it, she'll come back.

Hopefully.

Mom and I talk the whole time. We talk about anything and everything. I love that mom, and I can talk for a long time.

I knew I could tell mom about everything that goes through my mind when I'm alone, but I don't want to worry her. I don't want to worry anyone, so I would rather keep it to myself.

"So?" She dragged me out. I turn, looking at her. She had a mischievous grin on her face. I already knew she was going to ask me a ridiculous question.

"Are you talking to any boys?" My heart sank. I could feel my eyes widen a bit, but I hoped she wouldn't notice. "No." I say, looking back at the vegetables that I was cutting.

I hear Mom hum. I glanced over at her quickly. Her dark brows were drawn together as if she were thinking.

"Liar." My head snaps over to her. A smile was plastered on her face. She knew, and she wouldn't stop until I at least gave her some type of information.