chapter ten

Song: Love Is a Bitch by Two Feet

I regretted even saying anything. I should have just kept my damn mouth shut.

Maybe I should have stayed home.

But then Ella would have hurt herself. Fuck, what is going through her head?

What is going through mine?

We're two fucked-up people doing fucked-up things. "What do you mean?" Ella's brows furrowed.

God, kill me now.

Why did I even speak? Maybe I should just say never mind. "Speak Riv." She snapped, her green eyes narrowing at me.

"I wanted to show you this place." I start. God, why does my heart feel like it's going to explode? Her green eyes searched my face.

Ella Reid was the definition of beautiful. Her green eyes had the smallest bit of brown in them. The cutest button nose that had freckles covering it. Her full lips were the perfect shade of pink.

"I don't remember." I knew she didn't, but I was hoping that by bringing her here would somehow bring back her memory of what happened that day.

"I know." I look down at the old wooden floor, wondering how it hasn't broken yet. This place was old even when we found it.

I'm angry that she doesn't remember. I remember it like it was yesterday. "You were 14 at the time." I told her.

Flash back
15 years old

"Riv, we shouldn't be here." I knew she was right, but I wanted to show her. "Hush Ella." I snapped at her. "Don't tell me what to do." She snapped back.

I stop in my tracks, causing her to slam into me. Spinning around to face her. "Do you want to go back to your house?" She shook her head quickly, causing her brown hair to fall into her face.

It took everything in me not to brush the strand of hair out of her face.

"Then hush it. We are almost there." I tell her before turning back around. It wasn't even a minute before we stood in front of the tree house that I had found two weeks ago.

I haven't even told Noah about this, and I wasn't sure if I was going to. I wanted to make sure it was safe and perfect before I showed her. Why? I have no clue.

"When did you find this place?" I look down at her. "A couple—" she cut me off when she started speaking again. "Is it safe to go in?" I nod.

In seconds, she was climbing up the ladder, and I was behind her. I was nervous about what she would think about the inside.

It was a bunch of old stuff from my room. Like my old desk and old twin bed. I still can't believe that I got it in here. I even went to the library and got some books. I didn't read any of them.