chapter sixteen

I listen as everyone's voices fill the air around me

I listen as everyone's voices fill the air around me. I stared down at the coffee that was in my coffee cup.

He just left. I feel like a fool.

I could understand if we were just studying, but that's not what happened. River only used me. He used me as his own fucked-up pleaser.

I am angry, and I'm hurt. I'm angry that I let him get close yet again, and I'm hurt that he left.

I clench the coffee cup in my hands, hoping that it will relieve some of my anger. Maybe I should just go back to sleep.

It an early Saturday morning. Well, if I'm going to be honest, it's late morning.

"So we have to make sure the house is spotless before mom and dad get home tomorrow." I hear Noah say: Mom and Dad had to fly out to New York for one of Dad's business trips.

After they moved us out of the city and here, they made more trips due to dad's business. Mom only goes now because we are older and because it helps dad with his anxiety.

"You have to make sure the house is spotless, not me." I snapped at him.

I didn't mean for it to come out like that, but it did. Noah glares over at me. "You need to drop the attitude." He warned. I roll my eyes at him.

"You're the one wanting to throw a party, so you will have to deal with the aftermath." It's true. Why do I have to help clean after a party that I didn't even throw?

Noah's brows furrowed. "What's your problem, El? You've been being a bitch." I scoffed and shook my head.

If he knew the reason why, he would string his best friend's neck and then mine. When I heard the front door open, I already knew who it was.

I quickly finished the rest of my coffee and put it in the dishwasher. I don't look at River when he walks into the kitchen.

Finally, luck was on my side for once because he didn't even try to say anything, but I could feel his intense stare as I walked up the stairs and into my room.

I could hear Noah's loud BMW pull out of the driveway. He either left to get fresh air or stuff for his party. God, I wish Amira was here, but she is out for the weekend, and of course Matty is somewhere with Autumn.

I glance at my bedroom door when I hear the knob turn. River stood in the doorway of my room. He had dark circles under his eyes, like he hadn't slept.

My face forms into a scowl. "Ella–" I cut him off as I snatched his headphone off my nightstand and strutted over to him. I push the headphones into his chest.

"Get out." I snapped, and anger filled my veins quickly. But I also wanted to cry at the sight of him.

"Ella–" I shook my head, not wanting to hear his excuse. "You did it again." I pointed.