Chapter 9

"And these are your rooms, Miss Ryder." Stryker said, as he opened the door to a rather well appointed room. Victor wishing that his own room was half as good as the one that the colonel had set aside for the rare feral; it obvious that Stryker was doing all he could to impress (Y/n). The colonel placing his hand on her back and slowly leading her into the room; Victor not liking the fact that his mate was no longer by his side, nor that Stryker was touching her.

Before the chopper had got to the forest, Victor and (Y/n) had decided to keep the fact that she was his mate, as secret as they possibly could; the large feral saying that the colonel would use it against them if he knew. And although his actions against Wade had made it obvious that there was something between the two ferals; but actually coming out and saying they were mates, was a very different thing. Victor sure that Stryker would have done his research; that he would know that a mate bond meant a real bond. And that this bond could be used to control them both.

"I have planned for a little get together this evening. Hopefully it will go better than the earlier introduction. In the wardrobe you will find some clothes, I hope they fit. I am sure that given how long you have been in the wilderness, you might appreciate something new." Stryker explained, as he made his way over to the wardrobe and opened the door. Smiling as he presented the new things. Victor not liking the smile; knowing from experience that a smile from Stryker always meant something else. Something far more menacing. The large feral knowing that he would have to stay his hand; that he wanted to know what Stryker really had in store for his mate, before he took (Y/n) and left.

"Now, if you will excuse us, I need to speak to Victor. I'll be here to escort you to dinner, later. Say........seven o'clock?" The colonel added, before making his way to the door.

"I hope that you will enjoy your stay with us, Miss Ryder...........Come Victor..............." Stryker finished, as he opened the door and walked down the corridor. The rare feral nodding to her mate, before he reluctantly left her.

                                                        >>-------------------------------------<<

James made his way through the compound. When the others had left him to go and get ready for whatever the hell was happening later, he had sat there and thought. Thought about the rare feral, and his brother; thought about the scent that was still filling the room, and corridors. There was more to this (Y/n) and his brother, than they were really letting on, and he needed to know what. That, and he needed to be close to her again. Needed to look back into those eyes. The feral not needing to ask where she had been roomed; Wolverine just following his nose. Her scent pulling him to her.

He stood before the door, doing everything he could to control what was going on inside him. If she was Victor's mate, then he would have to fight this urge. But until he knew for sure, he wanted to be close to her. His hand banging harshly on the door.

"Victor................oh..........your James.......James Howlett, aren't you?" (Y/n) asked, as she opened the door. The big man nodding his head. She had hoped that Victor would be back with her by now. She was growing a little uncomfortable, not used to being closed in; not used to being confined.

She and her father were more used to the open road. They travelled from town to town, making as much money as they could, before moving on. Most of the time with (Y/n) undertaking bareknuckle fights against anyone that thought they could beat a "weird looking" woman. It was what they had done since she could remember; so, four walls, in a compound was not making her feel at ease. And even though she would prefer her mate, another feral would do.

"Please........come in............." The rare feral continued, opening the door fully, so that James could enter.

"My father told me about you.............." (Y/n) continued, as she took a seat on the sofa. James sitting in the chair opposite.

"He actually told me about you and Victor. About your time in Vietnam.........."

"Is that why you're here...................because of your father.........?"

"I suppose in part. If I had been able to find him after that Stryker sent those three other fools, I wouldn't have been alone in the wilds of Alaska............"

"And the other part.................?" James interrupted, as he leant forward. Wolverine sure that her smell was about to drive him insane.

"I have my reasons. Reasons that are my own............ My father said that you were a good man. That you were loyal and trustworthy. Tell me.........could that loyalty extend to me? Could I trust you.............? I need all the friends I can get. Especially one like you........." (Y/n) continued, as she reached over and took his hands. James looking down at them for a moment, before looking back up.

Oh, how he wished that Stryker had sent him up to Alaska instead of his brother. He was sure that he could have brought the rare feral home sooner, or at least got her as far away from Stryker's clutches as he could. That seeing what she had just said about her father, she would have trusted him more. But, as it was, Victor had been sent, and he had brought her back. His friendship and loyalty, the least that he could offer this rarest and most beautiful of creatures.

"Thank you, James. I feel better now that I know I have you and Victor on my side. I wouldn't trust that Stryker as far as I could throw him; but I want to know what he's up to. I want to know why he wants me; and if I have to, I'll stop him coming after me, or anyone else ever again." She explained. Her hands squeezing his a little tighter. Logan just wanting to lean in and kiss her.

"Well, I suppose I better get ready for this dinner thing. The colonel said that he would be here to collect me at seven. But........maybe we could talk more later." The rare feral added, before she let his hands go and got to her feet, making her way to the door and opening it.

"I'll see you there..........................."