Chapter 1

In the heart of Lahore, a bustling city where history and modernity intertwined seamlessly, stood a kitchen that held the essence of Pakistani culture. The tiny kitchen, adorned with colorful tiles and copper pots, bore witness to the daily symphony of flavors that filled the air. The spices lined the shelves like a vibrant palette waiting to paint a masterpiece everyday.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting an amber glow through the kitchen window, Yara ignited the flame, ready to bring to life a recipe passed down through generations - chicken karahi.

The sizzle of mustard seeds in hot oil created a symphony of crackling sounds, harmonizing with the distant calls to the maghrib prayer echoing from a nearby mosque.

Yara wore an apron adorned in intricate embroidery, stood by the stove, stirring a pot of fragrant chicken curry. She expertly tossed in a handful of freshly ground spices, measuring out precise amounts of each, releasing a burst of warmth and flavor.
The air was now filled with the heady aroma of cumin, coriander, and garam masala.

Yara's younger sister, Aleena, entered the kitchen, her eyes widening at the enticing scene. "What are you making, Yara? It smells incredible!"

Yara smiled, "Chicken karahi, just like grandma used to make. Want to help with the naan?"

"Yes!", Aleena eagerly took a ball of dough from the counter, rolling it into perfect rounds. "Did you add the secret ingredient?"

Yara winked, adding a pinch of saffron to the simmering curry. "Of course! It's the magic touch. Papa will be home soon, and I want to make his return special."

As the curry bubbled away, the sisters engaged in a lively chatter, Aleena sharing stories of her day in school while Yara mostly listened instead of talking. Their laughter resonated through the kitchen. The aroma intensified, signaling the perfect blend of spices in the curry.

Yara carefully added the marinated chicken to the pan, the sizzle echoing like a melodic overture to the masterpiece in the making. The rich aroma of spices enveloped the room, pulling their mother to the kitchen.

"It smells incredible, what are my beautiful girls making?", Aafiya, their mom, questioned entering their small yet cozy kitchen, with her ever so beautiful smile.

"That's a surprise Mommy, You need to wait till dinner time" Aleena joked quickly covering up the pan before her mom could see it.

"That's unfair, let me see" Aafiya whined like a child.

Yara smiled at her mom, "Mommy, we are making chicken Karahi, Grandma's special dish"

"That's lovely, I can't wait to taste it, habiti. Papa is going to love it too" Aafiya said smiling at Yara, "I am going to pray girls, see you at dinner time", She added before walking away from the kitchen.

Yara tasted the curry with a wooden spoon, her eyes lit up with satisfaction, "Just right. Let's set the table; Papa and mommy will be delighted."

"Yeah let's start it", Aleena chirped excitedly, walking towards their mini dining table that had only four chairs around perfectly fitting their family, Yara, Aleena, Fayyad and Aafiya.

Yara carefully washed the white bowl in the sink when she exclaimed, "Oh No!"

"What happened Yara?" Aleena rushed towards her sister.

"OH NO! OH NO! How can I forget it?" Yara kept mumbling instead of giving Aleena a reply, Aleena yet again questioned impatiently, "Tell me what happened?".

Yara slowly placed the washed bowl on the counter top and laughed, "It's nothing Lee, I just forgot to make the salad"

Aleena smacked yara's head and walked away not before saying, "You scared the hell out of me."

.
.
.

In the small yet cozy kitchen, the two sisters stood infront of the counter silently cutting vegetables to add into the salad after completing their Maghrib and Isha Prayers.
Yara was peeling the carrot while Aleena was cutting the cucumbers and tossing some into her mouth and some into the bowl.

Aleena the talkative one out of the two sisters, broke the silence, "Yara, did you hear about Aunt Asma's new cat?

"Aunt Asma has a cat now? I didn't know, when did she get one?" Yara questioned placing the carrot she peeled on the cutting board.

"She got it last week" Aleena replied tossing another slice of cucumber into her mouth.

"What's its name?" Yara questioned slicing the carrots neatly.

Aleena laughed before replying, "She named it "Biryani." Can you believe it?"

"Biryani? Seriously? Didn't she get any other cute names for that poor kitty?" Yara laughed.

"That poor cat must be wondering why it's not surrounded by rice and spices." Aleena added laughing at her own statement, "Aunt Asma named it Biryani because the cat has the most perfect blend of colours, grey, brown and white" she added.

"Aww, that'll be cute. I need to visit her tomorrow to look at that cutie" Yara said adding all the diced carrots into the bowl that was already filled with cucumbers, onion and corn.

"Maybe we should also get a cat and name it "Kebab." Aleena laughed.

"Great idea! Imagine us calling it, "Come here, Kebab!" or "Kebab, eat your food" in front of our neighbors. It'll be so much fun" Yara added to which both of them laughed wholeheartedly.

They had eventually cut all the vegetables and added into the bowl, the only thing that was left was the spices and few drops of lemon juice for that perfect taste. Yara gave it a good mix and it was done. She placed the bowl full of salad aside and washed her hands in the kitchen sink.

.
.
.

The sisters laid out a white cloth that had beautiful patterns of red roses all over it, on the table. Shimmering brass plates and bowls were carefully arranged along with the bowl of chicken Karahi, salad and naan, awaiting the feast that would soon grace them.

Their parents entered the kitchen and smiled at their daughters who were arranging the table for them.
"Assalamu Alaikum, my girls" Fayyad said, upon seeing him both the girls ran into his open arms that was always welcoming and soothing.

Soon they exchanged words of love and sat on their chairs to start the dinner. Yara served each of them with the food she had made with so much of love.

"Ma Sha Allah, Habiti, you've mastered this recipe. I love it" Fayyad said praising Yara to which she smiled happily.

"Yes Habiti, you make this better than my mom", Aafiya chuckled.

"Jazakallahu Khair, Papa and mommy. It means a lot to me"

The family settled into a harmonious rhythm of conversation and laughter. The warmth of the food mirrored the familial bonds, and as they savored each bite, it was a celebration of love, and the unspoken connections that food unites them.

However, Yara didn't fail to notice the sadness in her father's eyes.

Maybe he is just tired after the long business trip or maybe something is really not okay. I need to talk to him tomorrow, Yara thought.

............................................................................

Thank you so much for Reading ✨
I hope you liked it.

Let me know what you think about this chapter? 📖

🕊️Like
🕊️ Comment
🕊️Share

-Nuska Nisthar 🌼