Eliott's draft day

Francesca and Sterling: 12

Maeve: 16

Eliott:18

Josephine

Big day today, big, big day today. I fell asleep nervous, I woke up nervous, I made breakfast for champions part love and part you guessed it with nerves.  Usually, Jack is the one that's anxiously pacing or feeling like this, but today he's calm. Of all days, today he's tame. And I'm glad because it'll help me ground myself, and try to mimic his composed behavior. 

"Mom, you're doing the thing again," Elliot points out how hard I'm scrubbing this dish in the sink right now. "Pfft, what thing?" I shrug it off not wanting to shed off my nerves to anyone around me. Maeve turns around giving me the 'stop' look and I rinse the dish off setting it down so it can dry throughout the day. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just really excited but also nervous," I tell them, drying my hands. "And it's okay to be honey, but there's really no need to worry. Our boy is going to be first overall, that Lucas boy no offense, is no match for Eli," He says patting our son's back. Eliott chuckles, "Thanks Dad, means a lot coming from the most biased person in the world," He teases, shoveling some more food into his mouth.

"Besides the Devils didn't tank just to not pick you," Maeve says, scrolling on Instagram. "Okay guys, we got to be out of the house by 3!" I yell so everyone in the house can hear me. I get two "Mhm"s from my teenagers downstairs and an "Okay!" from my preteens upstairs. I run upstairs to my bedroom to get ready, deciding to curl my hair and put on a simple black dress and black heels. 

Jack walks in, fixing his tie when his eyes graze down my body. "Damn, you are gorgeous," He bites his lip, taking my hips in his hands. "So tense though, loosen up mama, he's going to be fine," he teases pressing stress-relieving pecks from my shoulder to my fingertips. "I know I'm just worried, I don't want him to think it's his legacy that makes him so desired by the teams. He's a great player and I want him to know deep inside that that's why he's the projected first-overall pick," I explain to Jack. 

"I'm sure he knows that, sure the pressure is going to get to him, but you don't just get to be the projected first-overall pick because daddy and grandpa was good y'know," he says, and I guess he's right. It's just as his mom I worry he's not telling me how he actually feels. 

Eliott was the biggest mama's boy growing up and he still is. I love the connection I have with my son, he taught me a different type of love and I'll forever cherish that. I roll my shoulders back, turning my neck to the side until I hear a quick pop, and turn around. "Okay, the minute I walk out that door, there will be no more nerves or anxiety," I say, taking deep breaths before walking out and faking it until I make it. 

I knock on the twins' room asking how things are coming along and they seem to be on track. Frankie looks so cute in her pink dress with some flats and Sterling looks so grown up looking a lot like Theo when he was younger. He's wearing a white button-up and navy pants. I can't help but walk over to him and pinch his cheeks. 

"My sweet boy, you look so grown up," I tell him, as he pushes my hands off his cheeks. "Mom, please, I'm twelve now, you can't keep babying me." He says as I fix his tie. "You think you can outgrow my love, Sterling Jude? You're in for a rude awakening," I kiss his cheek, walking out of his room, and shutting the door because he always yells at me when I leave it cracked. 

I go downstairs to check on Maeve, when I walk inside I see clothes everywhere, her eyes are red and Jack is behind her curling her hair. "My love, why are you crying?" I ask her, softly dabbing her tears away. "Can you close the door, I don't want Eli to hear," She says. Oh god, I'm scared now. I close the door and she says, "What if Eli doesn't go to the Devils, and he gets stuck with the ducks? I know Uncle Trevor is over there, and he could keep an eye on him, but I just wouldn't want him to leave me. He's my brother, I don't want to lose him." She cries, but I catch them before they can fall.