Catchin' snoozes

Art by 🎨daybreaklynx

❗️Warning: Starts to get spicy❗️

I stare at my phone for a moment. "Shit.." I whisper to myself and glanced up to Hobie who had turned away from me to look at the city below.

I felt such an immense guilt and conflict.
I've had a crush on Gayatri for months and I'm usually eager to spend anytime I can with her. I confessed not too long ago and while she didn't immediately accept my affection, she suggested we'd get to know each other a bit more before deciding to date. Which was going amazing until i found myself in his situation.

I nearly- no. Hobie nearly kiss me. My stomach twisted and turned, having yet to settle down from the heated encounter. How could I even speak to her after this. I ran a stressed hand through my hair before answering.

"Gayatri! Hey!" I said quickly, trying to make my tone of voice sound happier than it was.
"Pav, are you busy?"
I could hear her smile through the phone and it only made my heart throb more with guilt.
"Um!" I glance to Hobie who was sitting at the edge of the building. Munching on a bag of chips, who knows where he got them from. His eyes meet mine and he gives me a quick upward nod. "Yeah?" He chimed from afar and I quickly turned around again.

"A- a little. What's wrong?" I asked.
"Wrong? Nothing," she giggled. "Come over, I've been meaning to check out the new stores in the market with you!"
The pure joy in her voice made me close my eyes and sigh, there's no way I could just pretend that this all didn't happen. She sounds so excited and here I am-...

I glance at him again and he doesn't notice so I turn away again. "Of course, i- I'll meet you at yours. Just 30 minutes." I gave a weak smile through the phone. "Okay! I'll get ready too! See you soon!" "See you!.."

It hangs up and I sigh and limply drop my arms. I then feel a warm hand on my shoulder and i jolt backwards and turn around, startled.

He took his hand away and held it in the air a bit, "ya' alright? Bit jumpy." He asked, his voice still a soft. And I nodded quickly. "Yeah!... Yeah um." I fiddled with my hands and he slid his hands in his pockets while waiting for my response.

"Gayatri called, I have to get going." I looked up at him and rubbed my neck nervously. He seemed to have paused for just a spilt second before continuing as his usual self. "Bloody shame, hop to it then." He turned on his heels and it pained me to see him turn to leave so quickly. So dismissive of what ever just happened, I wanted to reach out to him but I stopped myself.

"Oh yeah." He turned back me and I straightened my stance immediately. Walking up to me and ruffling my hair, "hey!" I said though a suppressed laugh. He then snatched the brush off the ground with a shot of silk. "I win." He smirked down at me before darting to the edge of the building before I could grab him.
"Wha- Hobie!!" I yelled out, though my face flushed the moment his name escaped my lips.

"You've been yellin' out my name all day."

I shake the echoing words out my head. "You're a sore loser!" I yelled out. "I don't believe in losing!" He yelled back as he jumped off the ledge and out of view.

I could only sigh with a smile on my face, a dumb smile at that. I then place my face in my hand, my smile refusing to leave. That moment replaying briefly. "Damn it, Hobie.." I whispered to myself before sliding on my mask and making my way back home.
.
.
I did my best to pay attention to my crush but that moment wouldn't get out my head. It was worse than I thought, I couldn't even focus of this beautiful woman holding my hand as we walked. The woman I've been trying to prove my affection towards for weeks now The warm sun lit the world so perfectly, yet all I could see was that tall dark skin man with the perfect lips smiling back at me. Even having to blink a few times to make sure he wasn't there, and he wasn't.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Days had passed since that day, Hobie hasn't came to visit me again. I mean, he's gone days without visiting before but after that, it feels different. I wanted to confront him about that day, but the thought of it made me feel sick. I don't want to know his answer. I don't want to hear the wrong answer. I bit my lip at the painful thought of being rejected and sighed. "I've got Gayatri..." I mumbled.